Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Forum FAQ 
Admin
Site Admin

Forum FAQ

This thread is for SWFF specific questions. For help using the layout and commands, please see the phpBB FAQ.

What happened to the original SWFF?

The original SWFF was unfortunately hacked into and the information was not retrievable. We are hoping one day to be able to salvage what we can, and if we do so, we will archive the old forum for view.

Can this happen again?

Hacking and general internet issues are always a possibility, but after previous events we have taken steps to avoid another complete breakdown of the forum. For one, we have posted this forum on www.bpweb.net, one of the UK's largest, most reliable, and longest running website hosting companies. Secondly, we have consolidated the forum and related website, etc, to allow for easier access, monitoring, and maintenance. Thirdly, we are running the latest version of phpBB for maximum quality. Lastly, we are working on running a backup on the forum.

We'd like to take this time to thank everyone for this support and for letting us know just how much SWFF meant to you when it went down. It was your support that helped us bring you a newer and better SWFF!

I do not have to be activated to look at the adult areas?

In the original SWFF, users had to be individually granted access to the adult areas due to the nature of being adult forums. This was time consuming and did cause problems, so instead we have created the website as a buffer to avoid accidental access by the underage. You do have to be a member in order to post, this is to help avoid flamming and spamming.

Webpage, that's new.

Yes, it is new, and we hope to do more with it in the future as SWFF grows, including links pages, member information, etc. If you have ideas, please post them in the Forum Feedback thread!

Member Check?

To avoid spammer-bots we have put several blocks in place, including the Visual and Email verification, but sometimes spammers get through. Management reserves the right to check/delete inactive members or members with suspicious names to make sure that these are not spammer-bots. This check may be in the form of a private message or an email. Those who do not respond within a reasonable amount of time will be considered spammer-bots and deleted.

I've been deleted!

If you are deleted due to a failed Member Check, please send an email to starwarsfanfiction@gmail.com stating who you are, your member name, and we will ensure you will not be deleted again.

The best way to ensure you will not be accidentally deleted is to post!

Why post feedback?

We understand that the internet can be a scary place, but it can also be full of wonderfully creative ideas. Posting feedback encourages the writers to write even more of the fiction or art that you love to see! Don't worry if you only want to post a few words, just let the author know that you are reading!

I don't really want it to be known that I read 'adult fiction'.

That's okay, no one needs to know who you are. If you want to create a 'sock' to post feedback to adult areas, then go ahead, we don't mind! Some authors even have socks to post their adult fiction. All user information is kept in the hands of the administrators only.

What is a sock?

A sock is a seperate member name/account that is used for all sorts of things. You can use it to post/reply to adult fiction if you do not want it to be known that you read/write adult fiction. Two people collaborating on a fiction may create a sock that they both have access to in order to update/post their story.

I want to use an avatar of my own making.

Please see the Avatar Thread in the Gallery.

I want to link to SWFF.

Awesome! But please, do not link directly to the forum as the website and buffer pages are there with the purpose of avoiding accidentally viewing by the underage. Please link to the main page: http://www.starwarsfanfic.com. Links to banners are available upon request.

What is a UserGroup?

Usergroups are a way in which board administrators can group users. Each user can belong to several groups and each group can be assigned individual access rights. This makes it easy for administrators to set up several users as moderators of a forum, or to give them access to a private forum, etc. At the moment, this is mostly a way for users to show what other forums they belong to, but we hope to do more with it in the future!

My post has been edited.

We want our members to feel free to post and express themselves, but anyone who does not either abide by our rating rules, or behaviour guidelines, may find their posts edited at the discretion of the moderators. Please see the specific threads for more information regarding these rules.