Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic

What do you think we should do?
Let's add a Journal Forum.
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Let's add a Fitness Journal Forum only, no Journal.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Let's add a Other FanFiction forum.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Let's add both a Journal and Other Fiction Forum.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Let's add both a Fitness Journal and Other Fic Forum.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Let's keep SWFF as is.
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
I don't care, I will participate if any are added.
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
I don't care, I won't participate if any are added anyway.
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

Possible Forum Update/Change, Please View - Updated 
JayCee
Site Admin

While SWFF is a fan fiction site, it's also a community, and with that in mind a few thoughts bubbled up for possible additions to the forum. I wanted to see if any of the members would be interested before making any changes. Please see below for more details.

Journal Forum

With the popularity of the Fitness Thread, and an off-comment by ginchy, I was reminded of something I had on an older forum not related to SWFF. It was a journal forum.

Basically, it was a forum like Smashball where each user established a 'journal thread'. Here they could post like they would in a blog or lj, etc. It was decently popular at the time. Many of us already have journals somewhere, so I don't know how popular a journal forum would be here.

Fitness Forum

What I was more thinking about was establishing a fitness forum where those participating in the fitness thread could post details of how they are doing. Even if no one replies to it, it would add some structure and allow the person to look into the history of their weight loss, how things have changed, etc.

I can lock this forum so only those actively working on health and fitness can be allowed in if people are worried about posting more personal things.

Other Fan Fiction Forum

Well, we are SWFF, but I know that a lot of us like to write other fictions, and while some have plenty of areas to publish, i.e. HP, there are some which might not, i.e. Phantom of the Opera.

Again, we are a community here and I now you all share a lot of similar tastes! So the question is, do we want to expand and create an area for other fiction, or stick to SW only and only link to other fan fic areas?

Please vote, but more importantly, post your thoughts!

Last edited by JayCee on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

ginchy
Global Moderator

I love SWFF the way it is, but I'm not opposed to new forums. I would certainly participate in posting fics from other fandoms, and the journal idea could be great, especially for those of us in the fitness forum. Either way is great for me. I love SWFF. Love

Myriad

These sound like interesting additions. Other fanfic forum does not seem to appeal to me, because there are just so many other fandoms to choose from, and sorting through them all could get cumbersome as they begin to accumulate. I was not here on the old SWFF, so I do not know how a Journal forum would work for me, but the idea sounds interesting. I would probably participate if you added new features, but I would not be overly depresed if you did not add them either.

That's just my two-cents. Good ideas. Wink

bkbva

I'm intrigued with the journal idea, if for no other reason than I don't have one anywhere and haven't been interested in figuring it out on livejournal or somewhere else. But I wouldn't care if we don't add anything. We seem to run the gamut in the discussion forum already.

Lady_Mara

I think a fitness forum is a good idea. Smile

As for other fanfiction, I think this needs to be pure SW, but if authors write in other fandoms they can put a link in their sig or in a thread, or share it with those of similar tastes via PM. Hee!!! It even works my nerve to see other pairings being overemphasized at the exclusion of L/M Wink

Trace
Global Moderator

I voted that I will participate in whatever because I really don't have strong feelings one way or the other.

I have Live Journal and probably wouldn't post anything here that I don't post there - and I already repeat myself here as it is, LOL.

A fitness forum could be fun and I like the idea of it being locked to only those participating.

Not sure about other fanfic - mainly because SW is the only fanfic that I read, so I can't really speak to that.

EtahnAbaht

I do not object to adding features, and certainly if other people want them (as they seem to) and you administrators do not mind setting it up (and you don't, given that you asked the question) - knock yourselves out. I just, honestly, for myself alone probably would not have much call to use them. The only questions that come to mind are how these would be fitted into the site as a whole and what unexpected consequences might there be. However, these are not grounds for refusing to go ahead if there is sufficient interest. Things can be changed as warranted when issues crop up.

For whatever it is worth this is how the situation is looking to me so far as the topic forums are concerned. What it sounds like is that we could use a system/rule(s) for creating areas within the Smashball Finals. After all, that is where these sort of things go now. They wouldn't replace the Smashball Finals, after all small topics would still warrant a thread without requiring their own sections. What the system would do is provide subsections within the larger index where sufficiently popular topics could be placed together for organizational purposes.

As to the journals, that seems a separate thing, but as with the topic forums I do not see a problem - just don't expect as much traffic there from some of us as in the fanfiction. Wink

AG88

Trace wrote:
Not sure about other fanfic - mainly because SW is the only fanfic that I read, so I can't really speak to that.

I don't like the idea of other fanfic involved in this site unless it is a crossover. Afterall, we created this site for Star Wars fics, pics, and conversation. We have the Smashball site for topics not related to Star Wars and that is terrific because it allows us to get to know people better.

But if we start branching out to different types of fics we will become diluted in a way. I have nothing against the other types of fics, but what if a bunch of Harry Potter fans started posting their fics here and then this site slowly started getting populated with their fans. And soon we might find ourselves waist deep in broom riding, spell casting 'shippers. Once you open that door it is hard to close.

I think we should stick with Star Wars and try to maintain our small cozy family atmosphere.

I love my EOD man!

JayCee
Site Admin

It's great to see such a turn out of members letting me what they think! I'm crazy, you all know that, so I need you guys to keep me in line. Wink

After taking into consideration much of what was posted here, and my own reasons for considering a change in the first place, I have come to a decision!

1. No other fics. I wanted to keep this place SW but I couldn't ignore the fact that many like to write other fanfics and wanted to test the idea of posting them here. I'm all for posting links to other fiction forums, and we could even start a dedicated thread in Resource Centre.

2. The users seem on the fence for a 'seperate forum' dealing with journals or for fitness, etc. To clear things up a bit, a new forum doesn't have to take a whole lot of room on the site as a whole, and I can slot it in nicely. Secondly, there would only be one thread per user so it can not turn into a discussion forum like Smashball Finals. So, I'm going to make a Journal area and if it's used, it's used, if not, well, I can delete it in future.

Once again, thanks to everyone who posted here! This forum is for you so keep your opinions known! Very Happy

p.s. I'll update the forum tomorrow morning (my time) when it will be lest active