Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Balance Point 
bkbva

Very early this morning, Trace posted on TFN in the Mara fan club thread links to a couple of threads with Kathy Tyers circa the publication of Balance Point. Now, I continually admit to skipping right over the NJO when I started reading, so I haven't read this yet, although I will get to it sometime soon, based on Trace's recommendation.

Anyway, off and on today during breaks I've made it through several pages of the Balance Point thread, and let me tell you, in hindsight, it's downright painful. Not like the NJO was a happy time, but at least there was this happy event. And now I can't even read about it without being sad.

I notice that Kathy Tyers hasn't posted in years; I wonder how she feels about the current state of the EU?

Trace
Global Moderator

I think I mentioned this at TFN, but I called in sick to stay home and read Balance Point. It was written by an L/M fan, for the L/M fans. Hugs!

I used to be on Kathy's yahoo group and she went through some really, really bad DRL stuff not too long after BP came out. She had been contracted for a Christian non-SW novel, but then her husband committed suicide. There was a condolences thread in Lit that she responded to, but she hasn't been around since. Rose

Here's a link to her home page: http://kathytyers.com/index.html but it hasn't been updated since 2005. I would love to hear her thoughts on current events in the EU.

FWIW: If anyone is interested in non-SW romance/space opera, I HIGHLY recommend her Firebird Trilogy! It's awesome! Love

bkbva

Trace wrote:
I used to be on Kathy's yahoo group and she went through some really, really bad DRL stuff not too long after BP came out. She had been contracted for a Christian non-SW novel, but then her husband committed suicide. There was a condolences thread in Lit that she responded to, but she hasn't been around since. Rose

That's sad to hear. I saw references somewhere to a tough period, but had no idea.

Apparently she kind of wears her religious beliefs on her sleeve, so to speak, so I'd hope that it doesn't really come through all that much in her writing, or I'd be a bit disappointed.

Trace wrote:
FWIW: If anyone is interested in non-SW romance/space opera, I HIGHLY recommend her Firebird Trilogy! It's awesome!

Oh, great, you want me to add another book to that long list that I need to get to? Laughing

Trace
Global Moderator

bkbva wrote:
Apparently she kind of wears her religious beliefs on her sleeve, so to speak, so I'd hope that it doesn't really come through all that much in her writing, or I'd be a bit disappointed.

The Firebird trilogy has religious overtones, but not heavy or preachy. Kinda like The Chronicles of Narnia.

Her Star Wars writings are purely SW, though.

I just keep telling you what to read, don't I? Blush

Laughing

bkbva

Well, maybe I'll see if I can find those at the library. When I get there on the list. Seeing as it's not my religion, I might be slightly bothered.

Oh, I've read Truce at Bakura, I know that she can leave it out just fine.

Boy, as I get further through that thread, it's really interesting how you can take some of the comments and relate them to where the characters are now. For example:

One quote has stuck in my mind ever since I finished the book. It is from Luke's discussion with Jacen over the Force:

"You're claiming to be too humble to use the Force, aren't you?"

A subtle reminder to me that even the most seemingly noble of purposes can be self-serving.

For those claiming Jacen has had his character destroyed, maybe not, just slightly twisted?

Oh, and I liked the discussion about choosing the baby's sex. The requisite question about twins, I think. The obvious arguments in favor of carrying on the family name. Now here's one I haven't hit yet, and it wouldn't have been in that thread, anyway. If it had been a girl, would the powers that be have felt that they had to quickly follow it up with a second -- male -- child for just that reason? I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'.... Twisted Evil

Lady_Mara

Kathy would love fanfic and write it beautifully LOL Because she CARES!!! Love Kiss! Rose