Jade's Fire

Rigil Kent wrote:
Heh. Time for the Anti-Monitor to start making a ruckuss, huh? Razz

Darn skippy! Smile

cggunnersmate

Jade's Fire wrote:
Jedi_Emeritus wrote:

Jade's Fire wrote:
I haven't been keeping up with SW news lately. What is Millenium Falcon going to be about?

I'm not certain, but I believe it is supposed to be Han and Leia finding out about the origins of the Falcon. Don't quote me on that one though...

Now, maybe I'm, heh, jaded with SW at the moment, but even when I was enthusiastic about it, does that sound like a story that is just begging to be told?

Seems weird to me that H/L would just decide to find out the Falcon's origins, especially Han as he's owned it for what 45-50 years. It's going to be another Tatooine Ghost probably (never read that one thoug). The only novels I'm interested in right now are Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor because that at leat APPEARS to harken back to the Bantam days (whether that's good or bad I leave to you but I enjoyed the Bantam era more than DR). Even if the book is about them dealing with Lord Shadowspawn. It's written by Matthew Stover who did Traitor, Shatterpoint and the novelization of ROTS so I have some hope for this one.

What I'm really waiting for though is pretty much everything for The Force Unleashed: Book, comics and mainly the video game. This looks to be really good on all fronts.

As far as LOTF goes, I'm with the rest of you. I've not cared for most of the Del Rey books except for Zahn's and a few of NJO books. I didn't really care for the whol YV thing, hated them killing Anakin Solo (totally pointless and a waste of SO MUCH POTENTIAL with him). Though if Anakin had survived and DR turned him into Darth Douche Bag instead of Jacen I would have HAD to set DR's offices on fire.

Dark Nest was a total joke. I mean seriously, Giant Hippie Insects with their evil twins? If I had been in the room when that plot was outlined at DR I would have been ROFL at the ubsurdity.

LOTF was a stress test. I finished reading more out of a sense of obligation and I shouldn't have to read a SW novel, let alone a series out of obligation! I hate Karen Traviss. She's a decent writer I just hate her Mando centric POV. It should be confined to Clone Commando, Boba Fett novels (if anywhere) and not in novels about the overall arc of SW. There's just too much anti-Jedi drivel in her books. Seriously she makes them out to be the worst evil in the galaxy while Mandos are the pinnacle of honor, virtue and family values (and they're mercs and bounty hunters!) She had Fett or some Mando remark how it was wrong of Jedi to take young apprentices out on missions with their masters yet Jaina was in awe of the Mandos and the 4 yr old Mando kid with a blaster strapped to his belt (or her can't remember).

I may glance through Millenium Falcon before/if I buy, hope for the best for Shadows of Mindor, TRY to wait patiently for anything for The Force Unleashed and pray that Zahn gets to write something with L/M and Ben set sometime between NJO-DN and or DN -LOTF. I also would love for Stackpole to do some more X-Wing books set whenever. Also can a guy get a Dark Forces/Kyle Katarn novel?

Rigil Kent

Jade's Fire wrote:
Now, maybe I'm, heh, jaded with SW at the moment, but even when I was enthusiastic about it, does that sound like a story that is just begging to be told?

Not to me. Personally, I'd be more interested to read the novel that explains how the GFFA published profic became the Mirror Universe GFFA (where all Jedi are incompetent boobs and Mandos are Gary Stus, etc.). I mean, did I miss a memo or something?

cggunnersmate wrote:
and pray that Zahn gets to write something with L/M and Ben set sometime between NJO-DN and or DN -LOTF. I also would love for Stackpole to do some more X-Wing books set whenever. Also can a guy get a Dark Forces/Kyle Katarn novel?

Meh. I can't see myself even enjoying a book written by Zahn set in this mess. So I'm done with the profic. Completely. Barring a total Crisis/Zero Hour reboot of the franchise to immediately post-The Last Command (something that's simply isn't going to happen ... dammit), I can't see me ever picking up another SW novel, not with the amazing amount of moral relativism that's shown up in the recent novels (i.e. how every Jedi seems to get away with using the Dark Side or how the pieces of crap Mandos are suddenly shown as the pinnacle of social evolution, etc.) or the absolute assassination of the various characters. I'll stick to creating my own canon and ignoring this absolute tripe they put out and call official.

To me, the EU ended with TLC.

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.

cggunnersmate

Rigil Kent wrote:
Jade's Fire wrote:

Not to me. Personally, I'd be more interested to read the novel that explains how the GFFA published profic became the Mirror Universe GFFA (where all Jedi are incompetent boobs and Mandos are Gary Stus, etc.). I mean, did I miss a memo or something?

cggunnersmate wrote:
and pray that Zahn gets to write something with L/M and Ben set sometime between NJO-DN and or DN -LOTF. I also would love for Stackpole to do some more X-Wing books set whenever. Also can a guy get a Dark Forces/Kyle Katarn novel?

Meh. I can't see myself even enjoying a book written by Zahn set in this mess. So I'm done with the profic. Completely. Barring a total Crisis/Zero Hour reboot of the franchise to immediately post-The Last Command (something that's simply isn't going to happen ... dammit), I can't see me ever picking up another SW novel, not with the amazing amount of moral relativism that's shown up in the recent novels (i.e. how every Jedi seems to get away with using the Dark Side or how the pieces of crap Mandos are suddenly shown as the pinnacle of social evolution, etc.) or the absolute assassination of the various characters. I'll stick to creating my own canon and ignoring this absolute tripe they put out and call official.

To me, the EU ended with TLC.

Well I'm enjoying your stuff over on TFN. Let me know if you ever get that stuff bound into hardcover or something. I'll take some copies off you. lol I've already printed a few of my favs from the fan fic archive but the big 3 ring binders take up too much room on my bookshelf.

I'd hate to give up on the EU novels as they're about all I read anymore. But with Del Rey getting a contract extension I'm not holding out much hope that the quality will improve. That and it just won't seem right without Mara around. I could have been okay with her death if it had been done well but it was pointless, out of character and a waste. She goes off after Jacen even though she knows she can't take him in a straight up fight. Doesn't tell ANYONE where she's going or who she's after. Doesn't even leave a time delay msg for Luke if she doesn't come back. Finds Jacen by tracking Lumiya which = two Sith she has to deal with. It was like she had a lobotomy or something. KT was trying to make Mara like the Emperor's Hand for her final send off, even though she hadn't been for decades and even then she was a lot smarter. Didn't even say goodbye to Luke. In fact their relationship seemed really strained and distant (no hint of their bond). I mean Luke slept through most of the book! (Argh! I really can't stand KT!). Mara was much smarter and wouldn't have gone into that situation (if at all) the way she did if she'd been written true to character. She shouldn't have been hiding stuff from Luke, even for Ben's benefit as it ultimately wasn't. Alraight I have to stop now. I'm getting angrier at DR/KT and LoTF just thinking about it. Mad