Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Inside Authors' Inspirations 
Lady_Mara

Hi: This is similar to a question going on in one of the TFN threads. Smile What genres do you like to write in versus read? Which gives you the hardest time? If you get stuck, do you ask for help, or work it out? OC's, where do all those wonderful OC's come from? Is it harder to write something short like a drabble, or is it hard to rein it in from becoming a short story? Very Happy Rose

ginchy
Global Moderator

Hey, gal! Wink I'm not sure if I answered this on TFN or not.

I have a hard (VERY hard!) time writing anything past a one-shot vig. It does not come naturally to me at all. Neither does plotting. Ideas usually come to me in the form of "Luke, Mara, Kissing... Go!" Laughing Or I'll think of one small part of the story and write an entire vig to surround it.

I find smut the easiest thing to write. Devil Well, mushy smut. Wink Next easiest would be mush, and then humor. I do not find drama or angst easy to write, though I have written a few things along those lines.

I'd like to know more about other's OCs, myself. How do you come up with a fully rounded, fan accepted OC?

Great question, Lady_Mara!

kayladie

Usually, I write the same kinds of stories that I like to read. I once wrote a rant (only halfway kidding!) on my LJ about how I didn't like concrit because I'm very narcissistic about my writing...I think it's all brilliant, LOL. My favorite stories, both to read and write, tend to be longer ones that have a bit of everything thrown in: romance, a little action, a good helping of smut, and a LOT of angst, but I gotta have a happy ending! Very Happy

I'm the exact opposite of ginchy...I have a very hard time writing anything short! I can't just write a smut scene between Luke and Mara. I have to know how they got there, why are they doing it, what do they think of it afterwards...witness my one attempt at a PWP turning into the monster that is Whisper Your Weakness. Rolling Eyes And the sex scenes are the most difficult part for me to write. I always worry that they sound stilted and trite, and occasionally when I get carried away, way too corny. I LOVE writing angst! I can put poor Lukie through the wringer quite happily and then have him sit around introspecting on why his life sucks so bad! Laughing

I'm not too good at OC's either. The only two I've ever really written were in WYW and one is completely without any redeeming qualities whatsoever, and the other was kind of a plot device for a go-between with Luke and his family.

Don't worry, I'm sure there's help for that...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Trace
Global Moderator

Like ginchy, vignettes are the easiest for me to write, but I gravitate toward short stories when reading. I like to read vigs, but usually want to know what happens next, LOL. Epics are VERY hard for me to keep up with Ė I must have a short attention span or something. Blush

And like kayladie, I enjoy stories that have a little of everything: action, drama, romance, humor, suspense - but I cannot read chapters and chapters of angst after angst after angst after angst. I have enough bad stuff to deal with in real life, thank you; Iíve no desire to read about it in my free time. Razz (Unless it's kinky/naughty angst. Twisted Evil And that's all I'm sayin' about that. )

ginchy wrote:
I'd like to know more about other's OCs, myself. How do you come up with a fully rounded, fan accepted OC?

I donít have many OCs, but Iíve enjoyed the few Iíve created. Sometimes theyíre inspired by real people/events, and other times they start as an idea or personality to play off a canon character.

Most of my OCs are only in vignettes, so Iím not sure how Ďroundedí or Ďfan-acceptedí they are, but the entire OC cast of Recovery is loosely based on real-life people and situations Iíve worked with in the past. Esme in Bacaard is pretty generic Ė basically a portrayal of any young woman who has been beaten down by life and forced to make a living any way she can.

Pet in Taming is my Ďbaby.í She started off as a stock character that could have been plucked from an Anne Rice novel and Iíd originally planned to kill her off early in the fic. But as the story formed and progressed, I started to think about her back story: where she came from, how she got where she is in life, what her relationship to Mara, Luke and the other cast members is, what role she will fill in the overall plot, etc. etc. Iíve gotten quite attached to her now and canít imagine the story without her. Love And that probably doesnít answer your question, but I think having a history and personality designed in your head, even if itís off-page, helps a lot in writing OCs Ė not that Iím an expert on them Ė but thatís been my limited experience.

Jade Pilot

I never set out to write a long fic, they always seem to grow out of a vignette or challenge and completely take over. I still enjoy writing viggies, but also enjoy the character development and plotting of longer fics.

I love reading romance and mush, but it is very hard for me to write. Almost as hard as action scenes. I fall into humor easily and rely on it much too much.

JayCee
Site Admin

For me, I am inspired by two things, events, and music.

When I read a story or hear about something happening, I take that event and I start to toy with it and ask 'what if this happened...' and by the time I am done may not resemble the original instance at all, but it is a story in and of its own!

With music, I love music with wonderful flowing beats... and I start to use that as the backdrop for a scene... and I write the scene to fit the music, just like it is the soundtrack. I need to stop listening to angry goth music when writing Mara/Luke angst scenes.

Myriad

For me, angst and vivid description come easiest to write. All of my attempts at nothing-but-mush have ended up crumpled into a wad of paper at the bottom of my wastebasket. Neutral Every time I set out to write mush, it turns out so fake and sweet its... sickening.

Just hand me a plot for angst, and I will have way too much fun writing it! Laughing Just look at my two posted fics on TF.N- one is light mush and ultra-short. The other is overflowing with sad, angsty LM mush. Crying or Very sad Laughing Also, I am a huge fan for detail. My friend and I like to give each other fanfic writing challenges. Every time we do so, I end up with 3 pages of settings, descriptions, and lead-up to the actual story. It's pitiful, but I love it!
Very Happy

ginchy
Global Moderator

Dredging up an old topic here...

Lately I find myself coming up with story ideas that come to me as almost complete scenes of dialogue. I will be driving or walking or doing some repetitive task, and suddenly I can just hear Luke or Mara or Han or some character speaking within story frameworks I've already thought about in the past.

Yet, when I sit down to write these things out (because it seems so SIMPLE within the moment)... I got nuthin'. I can't write out what I'm hearing. My husband (who holds a Master's in creative writing) keeps giving me these little ideas on breaking past a block--giving myself permission to write badly, as several friends of mine would say. But it's just like... I have ideas. I think I'm beginning to learn how to plot. But I just cannot piece everything together into something coherent.

Has this happened to any of you?

Jedi_Emeritus

Yeah, you bet I have this experience - in spades.

First, I have a document on my computer which has a bunch of ideas I've thought up. Most are little one liners or simple ideas, where I have thought of something which I think would be interesting, but have no idea how to write it or even what context the idea exists in.

Also, I have many times thought of whole conversations in my head, usually they have something to do with whatever I am currently writing. Sometimes I can get them down on the computer fairly successfully and others it's just a disaster. At times, I have actually written whole chapters ahead of where I am in the story and at other times I've tried because I didn't want to lose an idea and it just hasn't worked.

So yeah, I guess you could say that I have experienced this before... Sad

ginchy
Global Moderator

I don't want to say I'm glad I'm not the only one... LOL You know what I mean. Wink

I find it interesting that you say you write chapters ahead of where you are. I have such a hard time doing that. I know that I know that I know you shouldn't try and write things in sequential order, but I can't seem to stop myself.

Jedi_Emeritus

I understand exactly how you feel! Smile It's always nice to know you aren't the only one!

Yeah, I will often write out of order, but that will often depend on how developed an idea is, how the current section is going and how motivated I am. For example, the Emperor's conversation with Mara in TMH I had written long before everything else, except the prologue. I knew exactly what I wanted to say and knew I would forget if I didn't get it down right away.

For my KotOR fic on FF.N (which I regretfully have not touched in almost a year) I have several things written in advance, but while some of that had to do with knowing exactly what I wanted to write, certain parts of it have been because I got so bogged down with what I was writing at the time and needed a break. I haven't written anything else in advance for TMH, but I suspect that's simply because it's been generally going so well.

Having said that, I should probably shut up, because I'll end up jinxing myself! Razz

Rigil Kent

ginchy wrote:
I know you shouldn't try and write things in sequential order, but I can't seem to stop myself.

Why not? I always write that way. A leads to B leads to C leads to D and so on. It's very rare for me to write something out of sequence - admittedly, this is one of the reasons I hit walls with my fics as I sometimes stall out with a scene and have trouble getting past it, but I don't think it's wrong to write in sequential order.

In regards to the previous discussion about random snippets, that happens to me all the time as well and I often revisit those snippets at a later date when I can manipulate the context or make it fit.

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.