Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics 
JayCee
Site Admin

I'm not a big sports fan, but I do like watching the Olympics, it's usually a very clean competition rather than the circus that are other events.

Two days in and already some excitement!

The official medals standings can be viewed here:
http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/GL/95A/GL0000000.shtml

Anyone else keeping an eye on the games? Or is it just an annoyance because it pre-empties other stuff?

JayCee

bkwrm

I like to watch the swimming and gymnastics competitions. Everything else I give a short passing glance. The opening and closing cermonies are my favorite.

WaveRider

Am keeping an eye and an ear on it... Norway got it's first ever Swimming medal. That was awesome.

JayCee
Site Admin

I seem to be one of the few people I know watching it. Sad

It was great to see the Welsh girl win the gold in cycling for GB, though with all the hills and rain she probably thought she was back home.

Nice to see that the US finally sorted out the basketball team.

Good to see Coventry win a silver in swimming for Zimbabwe, the country could use a bit of hope and pride right now.

And yes, Norway with a swimming medal, good see such a summer sport won from a primarly winter sport country.

But of course, Phelps is well on his way to his goal. Smile

I know we have more than US and GB people in this forum, I am unsure of all the other countries. Speak up so I know who to cheer for! Very Happy

MaraJade001

I'm watching! Popcorn In fact, we spent most of yesterday switching between all the Olympic channels to catch most of the action. The gymnastics and swimming have been my favs so far. YAY for the US swim team winning the 4x100 relay! That was some race!! Clapping

I'm rooting for the US, but I love seeing all the top performers. Very Happy

JadeLotus

I am cheering for Team Australia, although I hope Team GB do well.

I was watching the Eventing yesterday, but Germany pipped us at the post, unfortunately. And Phelps is just dominating, isn't he? Wow.

Looks like China is going to stay at the top of the medal table, but really, did we expect anything less? Very Happy

Jedi_Emeritus

I love the olympics, but it's sad we're almost a week into it and still no medals for Canada. Sad Still, all the athletes, especially the ones in the pool are doing the best they have ever done, so that is really all you can ask for. Oh well, we should have a couple this weekend...

WaveRider

Canada has three medals now. One in Rowing, and two in wrestling. Smile

Jedi_Emeritus

Woo Hoo!!

Yeah, I caught that last night (really late). I had fallen asleep with the olympics on the TV, while trying to proof my story one more time and woke up just in time to see the rowing.

It's about time!

WaveRider

Add to that the GOLD!!!! in swimming, and another GOLD!!!! in rowing. Smile That Mens eight team? They rocked. Seriously.

bkbva

Between the odd viewing times and being out of town for most of the last week, I've seen some, but not a lot. It's kind of nifty to get up in the morning and watch a soccer match (or football to anyone not in the US Razz -- why is it football in the US when the ball is almost never kicked? Batting Eyes ). I did get to see some of the swimming, at least, and a little gymnastics. It's just a bummer to fall asleep during the competition because it's on so late. And as great as it was to watch Michael Phelps win all that gold, I was rooting for Dara Torres, and feel bad that she didn't get the gold.

JadeLotus

I always feel sad when the Olympics end - knowing it is going to be another four years (although the Commonwealth Games tides me over a bit.)

Well done to China for coming out victorious and topping the medal tally as expected. The real question will be is if they can keep that up for London.

Team GB did brilliantly and surpassed everyone's expectations, and I am happy for them - it is hard not to be caught up in their enthusiasm! I was a little disappointed that Australia came sixth in the end - but it is still and impressive haul, and of course, we won the most gold and medals 'per-captia' as always Very Happy

There were some really memorable moments - Phelps of course, and Usain Bolt was just amazing to watch.

All in all, a really good games. Bring on London in 2012 - it will certainly be a huge contrast...