Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Need some information/help for a story 
Marani

I'm sorry to have to ask you for help. I thought I could collect the informations by myself, but I wasn't sucsessful.

In which year/ at which age was Mara Jade introduced to Thrawn and under which name?
- I've got a feeling I read that just a few days ago and her alias started with a "L", but I can't recall where.

Do we know why Mara Jade got away so easily was all her imperial backround and was allowed to marry Luke?
- After reading some X-wing books my mind started to create it's very own idea about the why.

I also read that Leia had a list about Jainas (ex) boyfriends.
- I'd like to know as much as possible about that, e.g. when and why did Leia started it, how many boys are on the list,...

I know, usually wookieepedia (and jedipedia for germans) are great resources, but tonight I just got a headache instaed the infos I was searching for.

mowat

Mara was introduced to Thrawn as Lianna, a favored dancer of Palpatine's, at the public dedication of the Assemblage Wing of the Imperial palace (no date/age specified). However, she was reintroduced to him later that evening as Mara Jade during his secret promotion ceremony to Grand Admiral. Mara had to describe the meeting and her dress in order to prove her identity to Thrawn in Dark Force Rising. I don't have a specific answer for your second question, but I believe she wasn't prosecuted for her crimes because of her contributions to the New Republic and because Luke and Leia supported her. As to your third question, I have no idea. Sorry. Hope you find my other answers useful.

Last edited by mowat on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

redtenko

My take on it was that besides all the help she gave the NR with Wayland and the Kantana fleet, Mara couldn't be prosecuted for crimes against a government that hadnt existed at the time she was Emperor's hand, since she didnt seem to have caused trouble for the New Republic after it was established, and she wasnt high profile enough to be put on trial for war crimes. Also, there was little to no evidence of any crimes she may have committed since she covered her tracks well as the Emperor's Hand, so nobody who wanted to accuse her of something would be able to find a spacific crime to peg her with.

kataja

1) No idea. Couldn't find it in Wookipedia And have no memory of it from TTT.

2) In Wookipedia it's said that about the years that followed Luke's and Mara's wedding: "During this time, she (Mara)and Mirax were brought up on charges, but were exonerated"; the source here should be Dark Tide II Ruin. I can't recall reading it there, though... And I have no idea what the charges were... Sorry!

3) In Betrayal (p. 25) Leia says to Han: "I've got a list of intimidated ex-boyfriends somewhere". She never reveals any names, except Zekk, Kyp and Jag who are the matters of discussion.

Hope this helps just a little!

redtenko

I was under the impression Mara and Mirax had gotten involved in some sort of trouble while they were traveling together (because how can those two not find trouble? they're not as bad as Luke and Han, but still...) and that's what the charges were about.

I

Trace
Global Moderator

It's never been said what Mara and Mirax got in trouble for, only that they "were acquitted."

(I'd looooooooooooove to know the story behind that, LOL.)

kataja

Me too!!!!!!!!

There are some unrevealed stories out in the EU... Just waiting for a fic to come by....

Marani

ok, thanks to everyone for your answers.

Lianna. How could I forget that name? It's got Anna - my name - in it...
But being introduced as an Emperors Hand that same evening makes Mara a little older than just 5. So my idea is most likely going to be a nice children story Very Happy

Special thanks to kataja for the boyfriends list.
“You’ve got a list about her discarded boyfriends?”, was what I had written but Leias sentence is even better.

I have a half finished story line for "Mara and Mirax being acquitted".
It starts something like Leia is in desperate need of a holiday but not willing to take one, so M&M decide to kidnap her. Unfortunatelly the guys have the same idea...
The usual chaos includes Iella and the New Republic Security (or the lack thereof), Talon, Wedge, Rogue and Wraith squadron, Pirates and a hysterical bothan

If anyone wants to help me write this story, welcome!

Rigil Kent

Marani wrote:
Do we know why Mara Jade got away so easily was all her imperial backround and was allowed to marry Luke?

I would personally assume that there was some sort of blanket pardon for her past crimes committed in thanks for services rendered. It would make sense to me that they would do that sort of thing, perhaps with Mara discovering it in the ceremony that is referenced at the end of The Last Command. I mean, it'd be hypocritical for the New Republic to attempt to prosecute her for war crimes when they've got General Madine in the highest levels of government.

Alternatively, one could argue that all of the evidence they have on Mara's activities is hearsay, which is inadmissible in most courts. She never left proof, right? And I sincerely doubt that telepathic truth scans via the Force is considered admissible evidence in court. Contrary to what some of the profic implies, I suspect that the truth about her role as the Emperor's Hand is actually known only to a select few. Frankly, it doesn't make sense to release that sort of knowledge to the general populace.

In regards to the final element of the question, I'd like to see the NR try and tell Skywalker he couldn't marry her. This is the guy who faced down Vader and the Emperor, blew up the first Death Star, etc. etc. As far as the masses, I'd suspect that the majority of people would see the marriage of Luke & Mara as something of a fairy tale with Luke cast in the role of the Heroic Jedi who redeemed the Amoral Imperial Agent, thus bringing her into the Light with the "power of his Love". Woe unto the foolish politician who tries to oppose such a thing...

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.

Rigil Kent

Rather than creating a new thread, I figured I'd try to hijack this one and turn it into a random question thread...

Anyway, in a couple of fics I've read, the authors have stated that ships while in hyperspace weren't able to use the Holonet and were effectively out of contact until they dropped out of lightspeed. Where is this from? Has the profic established this in one of the many books I haven't bothered reading? Or is this just something that's sort of become fanwank?

Thanks in advance...

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.

MaraJade001

This is from the Wookiepedia entry for Hyperspace:

Effects on sensors and comms
In addition to navigational hazards, there was also the difficulty inherent in communicating with a starship while traveling at hyperspeed. Since ships in hyperspace did not exist, in a conventional sense, they were largely cut off from conventional radio or subspace communication, since wavelengths of any signal would be massively distorted even if they reached the vessel. Hypercomm signals could reach a vessel in hyperspace, however it was very difficult to communicate in even this fashion unless the signal was sent from one end or the other of the traveling ship's course, or between ships on the same course.

The same difficulties presented to communication also applied to sensors; it was nearly impossible to maintain sensor lock on a vessel in hyperspace, which made escape to lightspeed a very robust retreat option in most engagements. The only option available for pursuit was generally to plot several courses along the target's last known vector, and try to guess where the ship would come out of hyperspace for course corrections. This was generally a losing strategy, of course, since most ships wishing to avoid pursuit would plot a short jump, followed by a longer one to the destination at a different vector before enemies could arrive. The best option was to place a homing beacon on the enemy ship, but at large distances only HoloNet-equipped tracking devices were useful, and these were fantastically expensive.

An interesting phenomenon associated with hyperspace travel was Cronau radiation. This was a short, but powerful burst of radiation which was generated when a ship entered and left hyperspace. It could be detected by properly aligned sensors from a few light-seconds away, often well outside normal sensor radius. This was how the Rebel base on Hoth was able to prepare for the oncoming attack when Admiral Ozzel mistakenly took the Executor and its battle fleet out of hyperspace too close to the system, rather than approaching stealthily from outside the system.

Communications
While hyperspace travel was the primary usage of this phenomenon which bound the modern galaxy together, it was by no means the only one. Hypercomm technology sent signal packets through hyperspace at greater speeds and distances than was possible with more conventional subspace transmitters, and this was done so with much greater speed than hyperdrive-equipped starships. The HoloNet increased the range still further, using an interconnected network of hyperspace beacons to rebroadcast enormous tracts of data over the entire galaxy, allowing instantaneous, full-holo transmissions from virtually any subscriber to any other. Under the Galactic Empire, the HoloNet was rigorously controlled, and even under the New Republic, the network was fantastically expensive to maintain, and so direct two-way connection was usually limited to government personnel and the wealthy. News, entertainment, and other wide-reaching broadcasts were transmitted throughout the galaxy and repeated on local sector-based subspace networks, however, so every level of galactic society was touched by this communications tool, not simply those with expensive hypercomm systems.

Probably more information than you needed, but I hope that answers your question. Smile

Rigil Kent

Huh. I checked Wookiee and somehow managed to miss this.

Thanks!