Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Has anyone read James Luceno's "Millennium Falcon?" 
FalconFan

I know there's a general boycott going on for EU novels, but this one was a great romp, IMHO! Despite all the heartache and loss in the LOTF series, this book felt a lot more like the old Star Wars, with a lot of well-written action and adventure, but also with some wonderful moments of reflection for the Solos. For me, it was a nice salve after the rawness of LOTF--set two years from the events of "Invincible," there was a cushion, so to speak, for the grief--but it also delved nicely into what Han and Leia are feeling, and how they're dealing with what's happened to their family. It's reflective, but not maudlin--Luceno handled it very well, I thought. Getting so much of the 'Falcon's previous history, from her spectacular exit from her assembly line (I was laughing so hard--even then she was contrary!) to her present day status as the Solo family "home," was wonderful--if it's possible, I love the old girl even more now!

Luceno also wrote "The Unifying Force," which was easily my favorite book from the NJO--he did a marvelous job with this novel, too, IMHO. Just curious if anyone's taken a chance and read this one. Smile

FF

Rigil Kent

For me, there's a simple mantra involved: 'No Mara? No interest.' I haven't forgiven them for killing her off. Sad

This book, like the Stover one, is a novel I'm mildly curious to read simply because Luceno's other books (especially the PT ones) have all been fairly good. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who is boycotting Del Rey (yeah, I get that I'm just one person and that's not really going to make any major impact, but its the principle of the thing, ya know?)

Though, to be fair, I haven't exactly been reading much of anything lately so...

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.

FalconFan

Yeah--I fully understand and appreciate said boycott. If I wasn't such a hopeless fangirly, I suppose I'd be boycotting, too...but this one was almost irresistible for me: having some Han and Leia (they're always so good together), the ol' 'Falcon (all-time favorite ship in the GFFA), and a little of Jacen's daughter made it a must-read for me...Luceno's great writing being a bonus in all of it. Thanks for weighing in, anyway! Very Happy

FF

BigFatty

I did think about getting it, but then I found out it was going to be hardback. This new trend is going to run me broke, so I'm being more careful about which books I buy and which I don't. This one didn't make the list. Maybe I'll find it at a library or something.

FalconFan

I completely agree about the "nothing but hardback" thing--DR is just milking the fandom for every dollar it thinks it can get, I suppose. They'll be very disappointed to learn most of us will be willing to wait for the TPBs (if we buy at all...)! Wink If you can find it at the library, though, I will heartily recommend it--as an author who writes Han and Leia as well as you do, I can guarantee you'll enjoy the way Luceno handles them: sensitive without getting too angsty, and the banter is pure H/L! Allana is a dear, too. **nodding** Thanks for taking time to respond here! **hug** Hope all is well with you! Very Happy

FF

Trace
Global Moderator

It's on my Want To Read list. I've been so completely distracted (read: obsessed Embarassed ) with the Legacy and KOTOR comics that Dark Horse is getting alllllllll my money. Cool I'm also a Luceno fan (TUF was absolutely the best!), so I'll pick it up in paperback most likely.

I'm glad to hear it's fun! We could use some fun in the post-ROTJ Del Rey barn. (On the flip side, the prequel and saga era books are really good, for the most part. Go figure, LOL.)

cggunnersmate

Haven't read it. Thought about but I'm still so angry with what Del-Rey and LFL have done to the EU that' I'm pretty much boycotting everything they put out. However I did make an exception for Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor which I bought and read. I loved Stover's novelization of ROTS and since it was set right after Truce at Bakura I had high hopes for the book and wasn't really disappointed. Though I did have a hard time getting into it and it took me longer to read than any other Star Wars book, I'm not sure why I had a hard time with it. It's gotten rave reviews everywhere I've looked and it is a good story. One minor theme of the book is the celebrity status of the main heroes by this point and they have a lot of dime store novel type holodramas about them during this time period and it keeps kind of slapping our poor humble Luke in the face throughout. Anyway the book starts and ends like a more normal novel but pretty much everything that takes place on Mindor is more sensationalized like a scriptwriter would do to a true story, which is intentional. There were a large number of Star Warsian similies through the entire book which put me off for a while until I realized they were meant to be in there like that. Definitely did the big three right and you really got into Luke's head during this time period, you also got a good look into Blackhole's mind as well and at least to me there could be a link to Blackhole's past and possibly the Dark Side threat that's not of the Sithly variety in FOTJ but that's just my wild speculation at this point and since I have no plans to by FOTJ unless it gets better reviews I may never know without wookiepedia.

My favorite part of the book came at the end. There's a character name Aeona Cantor and she's a red head with green eyes that temporarily steals the Falcon from Han so she can rescue her boyfriend Nick. Nick ends up helping Luke as sort of side kick through a good portion of it. Anyway when Luke is talking to the reporter/investigor or whatever he was he decided to sell the story as a holodrama and wrote it out as such (which is the meat of the book we read) and during the inital draft Luke reads he tells the guy that Aeona Cantor was NOT his love interest, she was Nick's girlfriend and reiterates it by saying "She was too abrasive and I don't like read heads." I just like that little foreshadowing because he ends up marrying an abrasive read head name Mara. I got a kick out of it.

I may pick up MF when it hits paperback but it's not high on my list, right now I'm re-reading my X-wing books (my wife bought them for me for x-mas to replace the one's I lost to Katrina) and I'm on book 7 of 9. I love the X-wing books, they're more fun and entertaining that any other SW book or story arc IMO. After I'm done with them I'm going to re-read I, Jedi (another Katrina replacement). I may get to MF eventually, people seem to like and since I guess it has Han and co. visiting a planet of people with a strong sense of humor when their welcome sign says something like "Natasi Daala is Chief of State so why give a poodoo." or something like that. At least someone in the SW universe sees how crazy that is.

bkbva

cggunnersmate, I'm pretty much with you. It's not so much a boycott as it is a lack of interest. I can't get psyched up for the story any more. And I had the same problem getting started with Shadows of Mindor that you did, but once I got into it, I pretty much enjoyed it.

FalconFan

Trace: Yeah--I'd recommend it, especially if it's in your plans to read--like I said at the beginning: it's a good SW romp, and not nearly as dark and unhappy as some of the recent story arcs. Glad to hear the comics are so absorbing--believe it or not, I'm one of those people that has trouble reading comics--for some reason, the layout, dialog bubbles and frames really make it hard for me to follow the story... I find simple reading to work better: my own rabid imagination can concoct enough images to carry me through no problem! Thanks for taking part, though--and I wish you good reading once you get the TPB!

cggunnersmate: I finally read "Shadows of Mindor," and agree it was a good book--a good SW adventure, good characterizations and some cool elements (those "rock creatures" were great!)--I thought Han and Leia were handled particularly well. It was a good read--I think I still enjoyed MF a little more... Maybe that's because I felt so "wounded" after LOTF, and that Luceno's handling of the GFFA and the Solos was a lot more sensitive, in some ways; not sure, but I really liked the book. I hope you get the chance to read it sometime--all the previous events in the canon EU aside, it's a fun read!

bkbva: As a stand-alone novel, MF really might be worth a look--even if you've eschewed the previous novel series. I found it very refreshing, and a lot more like looking at ANH than the bleak, dreary, unhappy place the GFFA had become by the end of "Invincible..." I'll encourage you to pick it up someday--perhaps if you find a copy at your local library--I don't think it'll disappoint you (and Luceno's writing style just seems very well suited to Lucas' universe!). Thanks for weighing in!

FF