P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Summary of Issue 18:

Starts with the first 3 pages as seen in the preview on the DH site. We get the story of how Hett became Krayt and lo ‘n behold it’s our old friend Vergere talking to him while he’s in the Embrace of Pain, giving him the same song and dance she gave Jacen in Traitor. Lotta exposition about Krayt’s new organic arm and Vong implants and how he had his vision to create the new order of Sith and Vergere left him because he had his own agenda and wouldn’t follow hers. Krayt goes off to Korriban to start the Sith order we see in Fury at the same time that the Vong invaded the GFFA at the beginning of the NJO. Krayt had tried to recruit Lumiya but she “sided with Vergere and her creation, Darth Caedus” and the Sith order on Korriban have been biding their time until now.

Back to present time: Cade finally gets out of the Embrace of Pain and promptly goes to Maladi’s lab (to rescue Hosk?) Talon is there, he tries to sweet-talk her and she knocks him out and calls him an “idiot,” LOL.

On the Mynock: Kee is teasing Blue about “Captain Hunky” and “Darth Hottie” Laughing and Morrigan tells them to cut it out because it’s time to move.

In Krayt’s chambers: Krayt tells Cade it’s time for him to make his “sacrifice” to become a Sith (oh gawd, it's the LotF koolaid) and that he must kill Hosk to do that. Cade’s response is brilliant: “You need to get out more. Play a few hands of sabacc in a cantina somewhere, ‘cause you sure overplayed this hand.” He refuses to kill Hosk and tells Krayt that his threats don’t mean squat because he knows Krayt needs him alive to heal him.

I won’t even try to describe the next couple of pages, but there’s gorgeous dialogue from Hosk, who goes out Obi-Wan Kenobi style. Then we ‘hear’ his voice from the Force: “There is no death. The Force will be with you, Cade Skywalker.” *sniff* I got a little vklepmt. Rose

Cade is furious, says he’s gonna kill Krayt, and then turn the page and…

It’s Force ghost KOL!!!! Love

Again, you have to see this scene – it’s too much for words - but Kol speaks and then Cade shatters the case holding Kol’s lightsaber and takes his father’s weapon. I’d like to say he was going Jedi on us, but no – his eyes are blazing yellow/red as he turns around and stabs Talon through the stomach.

Back on the Mynock: They’re flying in fast and almost to Krayt’s tower.

Back in Krayt’s tower: It’s Cade vs. Nihl and Krayt and the final panel is Krayt telling Cade that the dark side is the only path left to him and Cade’s eyes are fully Sith…

EEEEEEEEEEEVIL CLIFFIE!!!!!!! Twisted Evil

And that’s totally longer than I meant it to be, even though I left lotsa stuff out, but there’s just SO much story and awesome.

Clapping

JayCee: My comic shop didn't have Issue 17 Sad I'll keep looking for you.

bkbva

It took me a while to get this issue, and then I was too busy for a couple of days.

Anyway, Trace will consider this blasphemy, but my opinion right now is a cross between "wow, that was really cool!" and "eh, I'm bored and don't care any more."

I mean, Krayt's backstory just kind of cheeses me off. Although it at least explains his appearance, so that's good, I guess.

Regarding Vergere -- eh, I don't care. Maybe 'cause I didn't read the NJO. Maybe 'cause I see how everyone is po'd about her being retconned into a Sith. Or maybe not.

I don't even see the cliffie as evil any more.

Maybe it's all because I'm just so bummed out over the EU in general now that it's affecting how I'm reading the comic. I'm not quitting yet, but I may be getting real close to the point I'm at with the novels -- a couple of more and I'm done. We'll see.

ETA: I actually stayed spoiler free for this one. Haven't done that on anything in a while.

Trace
Global Moderator

Blasphemy!! Palpatine

Laughing

Just kidding! Hugs!

S'no problem not to get into something that someone else likes. Smile

Me? I'm totally into this arc, obviously. Embarassed Others are not too interested right now, but are excited for the upcoming GA fleet battles in 20 & 21 and possible appearances of the Fel family again, and I'm not so much into ships and Fels.

I'm totally meh about the Vergere issue. I never saw her as anything but bad news anyway, even back in the NJO, so the alleged 'retcon' eludes me.

Only thing that bugged me in this issue was the repeated ROTS & ROTJ dialogue along the lines of 'give in to your anger to complete your journey to the dark side' there at the end. That must be the "conversion" party line taught in Sith 101 class, lol.

Although, I did like a couple of the parallels:

Lumiya: Make your sacrifice to become a Sith!
Jacen: Um, okay. Sure, why not. *kills people*

Krayt: Make your sacrifice to become a Sith!
Cade: Hell to the NO, pal! *tries to save people*

Emperor: Strike me down with all your hatred!
Luke: *earnest and sincere* No. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

Krayt: Strike me down with all your hatred!
Cade: *couldn't possibly care less* Keep yer pants on. I'm gettin' to ya!

Laughing

Sorry to hear you're so bummed about the EU. Sad I'm hearing lots of good things about the Darth Bane books and my husband loved Death Star. I plan to read it now that I've finished the third volume of KotOR.

bkbva wrote:
ETA: I actually stayed spoiler free for this one. Haven't done that on anything in a while.

Legacy is the only thing I stay spoiler-free for and, yeah, it's been a while since I cared enough to avoid spoilers on anything. Scared and Hiding

bkbva

Trace wrote:
Only thing that bugged me in this issue was the repeated ROTS & ROTJ dialogue along the lines of 'give in to your anger to complete your journey to the dark side' there at the end. That must be the "conversion" party line taught in Sith 101 class, lol.

I definitely agree with that one. It got old in the movie, too. Wink

Trace wrote:
Sorry to hear you're so bummed about the EU. Sad I'm hearing lots of good things about the Darth Bane books and my husband loved Death Star. I plan to read it now that I've finished the third volume of KotOR.

I guess I'm finding that I can't get past the post-Sacrifice (and forward) hangover. Sad When I'm reading the discussion over at TF.N (the few threads that I do), I get sad. I get sad reading a lot of the excellent fanfic. Other than being able to chat with the folks here, it's made me regret that I ever started reading the books. I don't think that's what they had in mind with the story line.

I might read Death Star at some point (paperback). I'm totally not interested in Darth Bane. I couldn't care less about The Force Unleashed, and that appears to be the big focus for the forseeable future. Well, that and the Clone Wars, and I don't care about them either. Neutral

Trace
Global Moderator

Has anybody else read 19 yet? Very Happy

JayCee
Site Admin

i haven't even got 18!!! Sad

Trace
Global Moderator

Surprised Oh, I need to hook you up, girlfriend! Which ones are you missing? The owner of my comic shop said he usually has back issues of Star Wars and I can pick them up next time I go.

My brain exploded after 19 and I wanna talk! Embarassed

Until then, here's some eye candy for you: Love

bkbva

Gotta love that blank speech bubble. Cade's gone mute, has he? Laughing

Man, I can't win. I ordered the damn thing from TFAW, and they're still showing it as pre-order! And you can't cancel pre-orders. And I'm still holding out on the spoilers. Why, I have no idea. It's not like I'm spoiler-free on the books. Mischief

Trace
Global Moderator

LOL! Well, Cade had something to say, but it was spoilery. Wink

DON'T READ THE SPOILERS!!!!

Seriously. You'll kick yourself if you do. This is one that HAS to be told via John and Jan. Trust me! Very Happy

TFAW still has it as pre-order? Man, that sucks!

JayCee
Site Admin

I only have up to 16!!

I ordered them from Forbidden Planet and they apparently won't ship till they have them all... so I have to wait till number 20! Sad

bkbva

I just got home and it looks like it's finally here! So maybe tomorrow I'll have something relevant to say. Very Happy

bkbva

I gotta come back to this later, but I just gotta say, I did not see that coming! Surprised

However, I was a little uncertain about the artwork, so I had to go cheat in the tfn thread before posting this. Now I've got to go back and re-read a bunch of stuff.

Be back later.

Trace
Global Moderator

Yay! You got it!!

bkbva wrote:
Now I've got to go back and re-read a bunch of stuff.

That's exactly what I did....after I scooped my brains up off the floor. Surprised

bkbva

Trace wrote:
That's exactly what I did....after I scooped my brains up off the floor. Surprised

Yeah, well, so far I've looked at #8 some. I always felt that Nyna had her own agenda, just wasn't sure what it was.

But here's my thought, tell me what you think -- the Nyna in #8, which takes place during the war, so seven years prior to current events, is NOT the same Nyna currently. I need to read more, but her personality seems different. Razz