Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic

bkbva

While breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it's also my favorite! Unfortunately, I never get to actually eat the good stuff unless I'm at IHOP or something, although I will make pancakes sometimes. Sometimes for dinner, even. Very Happy

Trace, I hear ya about the wine. When I'm in serious diet mode, it's painful to look at the bottles in the wine rack, and want deperately to open one, but the little voice inside says "you could have a Weight Watchers dessert instead of those wine calories and satisfy that chocolate craving." Or something else. Sometimes, you've just gotta give in and drink those tasty wasted calories.

Arghhh! Now I want a darn drink!

ginchy
Global Moderator

Hello, Lady_Mara! Hugs!

Phew, I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one with double-chin issues. Laughing I know what you all mean about pictures--I make my husband take all pics at a downward angle, so that you can't see my chin at all. Mischief

I really want to get back on WW or a program of that sort, and start exercising. I have an excercise bike that it doing well holding up my wall. I guess I'll try and drag that out. It's so hard to get motivated... But I have to. The button on my jeans is begging for mercy.

Myriad

ginchy wrote:

Phew, I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one with double-chin issues. Laughing I know what you all mean about pictures--I make my husband take all pics at a downward angle, so that you can't see my chin at all. Mischief

You're not alone! Hugs! Laughing

Jade's Fire

JayCee wrote:
I think my wake up call was last week when the doctor had blood drawn to check for diabetes. The gentleman I helped also made me realize just how the diease can affect the body and with both parents now diagnosed with diabetes, my grandmother having it as well. Let's just say genetics do not like me!!

I am currently 17 stone when I should be about 11 or 12 for my height. I have decided my goal is to loose 4 stone though I haven't given myself a time limit yet.

My first order of business, give up soda! It's fattening, bloating, and rots me teeth! I am going to all week without a cola, so far... so good... wish me luck!

Ok, what does 1 stone = in pounds, for those of us who don't live in Merry Old England? Razz
And if you want to give up soda, great, good luck to you! However, I have found some diet sodas that imo taste great. Diet Cherry Pepsi is fantastic. Coke Zero Vanilla isn't bad, and neither is Diet Vanilla Pepsi. If you like root beer, Diet A & W is unbelievable. There are others as well that are ok. It's a lot better than it used to be.

Jade's Fire

JayCee wrote:
Speaking about breakfast... I never eat it... I usually go without food till late... sometimes skipping lunch.

I've been told that this is possibly worse for loosing weight as the body tends to store food when it finally gets it? That could be a myth but I've been thinking of starting eating something light in the morning, toast or something. Dunno.

Does anyone know if this true or not?

It's no myth. Never skip breakfast. It puts your body into starvation mode, and it starts conserving calories. So your metabolism slows down, and your body burns less and stores more. Also, when you finally do eat, you tend to eat more.

Jade's Fire

I see I should read through the entire thread before I reply! Embarassed
Ginchy, you should have told me you were finally starting this thread! I'm glad one of us got around to it.
I lost a great deal of weight awhile back on the South Beach diet. I'm about 5 feet 10 inches tall, and I'd made it up to about 240-245 lbs. As in some other cases, the camera finally smacked me upside the head and I could no longer deny I was fat. I think I made it all the way down to 190 lbs. at my skinniest, about 10 lbs. above my ultimate goal.
Then, my cook (my wife Twisted Evil ) got pregnant again, and it was something of a rough pregnancy, so she could no longer prepare the SB stuff for me. We got lax, and I resumed my love affair with ice cream, doughnuts, and pastries. I did manage to stick to diet sodas though, as regular soda, with the exception of an occasional Mt. Dew, is just too sweet for me now. I went back up to 225 lbs. I got rather ashamed of my weakness again, so I went back to the SB diet, and the common-sense of not eating all the ice cream and other junk. I'm now back to about 204 lbs. after about a month or month and a half, and I'm still aiming for about 180 lbs. I will eat little cups of italian ice rather than ice cream, or WW yogurt, which I think is fantastic. Also, sugar-free pudding or jello is good, and I still try to have the occasional beer or glass of wine, as it's actually good for you. NO ice cream though.
I'm also trying to start exercising again. We have an elliptical, and I have an Olympic weight bench with free weights in the basement. However, it's quite a mess down there right now, so they are difficult to use. At the very least, I need to start doing some pushups and various ab exercises again. Can anybody who has one of those core stability balls tell me how useful they really are? Do you get good results with it?
One more thing. If anyone here drinks a lot of Gatorade, unless you really lose a lot of fluid, I'd advise you to stop. It's got a lot of sugar in it. I think dropping that and soda when I first started the SB diet helped me a lot in losing some of that weight. As someone else stated, you don't need to drink all of those calories. Try something like Propel instead. Made by the same company, with only 25 calories per bottle.

Edit: Also, here's an idea I was kicking around with ginchy. Maybe those of us who are actively involved in trying to lose weight should post our results at regular intervals, once a week or so. Just some friendly competition to help us stay motivated. I've noticed I seem to do better if I'm trying it with someone else, so I figure others might work that way too. Anyone think that's a good idea? Or a horrible one?

JayCee
Site Admin

Jade's Fire wrote:
Ok, what does 1 stone = in pounds, for those of us who don't live in Merry Old England? Razz

Shhh 17 stone sounds better than the alternative! Very Happy

Lady_Mara

Posting weight loss results... might work for those who have the same amount of pounds to lose, such that those who have 20 or less could "compete" only with each other, or persons could not put their actual pounds but how much they want to lose in a month, and then celebrate that. And then start the next month. I think half the daunting thing is thinking: This is gonna take forever and I can never eat a snack again. Something else that's hard to do on a diet is eat out. You either have to order the least exciting thing on the menu or scarf and feel guilty. Laughing The fact about eating smaller meals more frequently... sounds lovely, especially for someone who loves to eat as much as I do.... but the thing is... people's lives/schedules are stuck around three squares Laughing Restaraunts and other eateries are geared around it. Thinking

JayCee
Site Admin

I took toast in to work with me this morning and got some funny looks, LOL, what else is new! Razz

I also got a headache, caffine withdrawl I think... argh... I need to stock up on Anadin!

Lastly, I broke the scale, literally, d'oh! Doh!

ginchy
Global Moderator

Jade's Fire wrote:

Edit: Also, here's an idea I was kicking around with ginchy. Maybe those of us who are actively involved in trying to lose weight should post our results at regular intervals, once a week or so. Just some friendly competition to help us stay motivated. I've noticed I seem to do better if I'm trying it with someone else, so I figure others might work that way too. Anyone think that's a good idea? Or a horrible one?

I think it's a great idea! I know when it's just me on my own... well, not much weight gets lost. LOL!

Marani

Try an apple in the morning, I usualy do that if I don't like toast or cornflakes.

And whenever you need something sweet, eat fruits. Fresh fruits, not the ones from tins or dried fruits. You probably have no idea how sweet bananas, peaches, apricots and plums can be.
If you don't like the fruits from your local supermarket, try a natural food store. They are more expensive there, but they taste ways better.

For drinks, try (sparkling) water with a few drops of fresh lemon juce and drink a lot.

You could try tai chi/yoga and swimming which are all very relaxing and healthy.

Jade's Fire

I still haven't managed to start lifting weights yet, but I've stuck to the diet very well.
Unfortunately, I have the munchies tonight, so I have to stay away from the kitchen!

Also, is anyone here trying anything other than WW? I'm on the South Beach Diet, and as far as 'diets' go I think it's great. Is anyone using any other system?

Jade's Fire

Anybody making any progress? I'm holding steady, I having motivational problems with the exercise part, and I've been unusually hungry this week, so I've snacked a lot. Nothing bad, so I didn't gain weight, but a lot, so I didn't lose any either.

TNPredsFan

Last November, my co-workers decided to conduct a "Biggest Loser" contest. It was $20 to enter, and the individual who won the competition would win the pot. Over half of the office was recruited, so we had almost 40 participants. The contest ran over a 3-month period, and the person who had the greatest % weight loss won. (We decided % loss was fairer than total pounds.)

When I weighed in to begin the competition, I was stunned to see I was 40lbs heavier than I should be. It was quite a wake up call. I started Weight Watchers and hit the gym on December 1. By the time C-IV rolled around, I had lost 30 lbs.

I'm not to my target weight yet since my life has been in upheaval since July with the job search, moving 250 miles, and starting the new job. Thankfully, I have only gained 5 lbs since July, but I'm starting to buckle down again.

Trace
Global Moderator

This weekend was a wake-up call. It's finally cool enough here to wear jeans and the ones I could squeeze into were really tight. *groan* It's my own fault. I was bad this summer and slacked off working out and eating right. Time to get back in gear.