Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic

redtenko

I found while writing it that it really was too obvious, thus the challenge. At the end of the series, they both go through intensely traumatic experiences, Faye gets her memory back and Julia dies. The challenge in a "what if spike lived, spike/faye fic" is to deal with the outcome of the finale and still bring them together in a way thats believable and in character. Very Happy

JayCee
Site Admin

Ah, you see, I have never watched the final episode, though I know how he has a very cool death with Vicious, but I just can't bring myself to watch it... Crying or Very sad

I'm going to pretend that he survived... Very Happy

ginchy
Global Moderator

So, any others here that were in XF or HP fandom? They're both so huge. XF was my first fandom, and I remember when I had read every almost every fanfic in the Gossamer archives. There's NO way I could do that now! I know that Star Trek is the first fandom considered to have fanfic (right?) but I think a lot of what we know about fanfic archives online today come from XF fandom.

HP is a huge fandom, too. I really only hang out on Checkmated, however. It's a Ron and Hermione site. We're a fun group. Very Happy /shameless plug Wink

Myriad

ginchy wrote:

HP is a huge fandom, too. I really only hang out on Checkmated, however. It's a Ron and Hermione site. We're a fun group. Very Happy /shameless plug Wink

Teehee. It was impossible not to click that link once I saw it, ginchy... Laughing I'm not much of a Harry Potter fanfic reader, but.... I like what I see. Very Happy Laughing

Trace
Global Moderator

ginchy wrote:
So, any others here that were in XF or HP fandom?

I was HUGE into XF, but that was long before I knew what "fanfic" was, and before I even had a computer, come to think of it. TBS station (I think) shows XF at 4 am, so I've been catching a few episodes here at work lately, lol.

I rec'd your HP site to a friend of mine, but he's writing Harry/Draco (non-slash), so I'm not sure if he'll fit in or not.

ginchy
Global Moderator

*pins on Head Girl Badge*

At Checkmated, we accept stories so long as they do not contradict R/Hr's relationship. Very Happy

Tell him to come on by!

And glad you stopped by, miss dreams! Very Happy

Trace
Global Moderator

ginchy wrote:
*pins on Head Girl Badge*At Checkmated, we accept stories so long as they do not contradict R/Hr's relationship. Very Happy

It's a post-DH fic and R/Hr & kids have been mentioned - not sure if they'll make an appearance. I'll let my friend know. Smile

feng_huang

redtenko wrote:

Lately though, the other fandom I've been reading is Pride and Prejudice. Mainly to do with a little experiment called "Can I find fanfiction for P&P that's better than the published P&P 'sequels'?" The answer is most definatly YES.

There are sequels to Pride and Prejudice??? Surprised I thought Austen's novel a bit mild if not mediocre, but now I'm interested to know about sequels. And fanfic too. Help me? Thank You!

My favourite fandom is Ranma 1/2. Hearts It'a an anime/manga by Rumiko Takahashi, the queen of humor. It was my first fanfiction love and it set all the parameters I like in any story I read, even SW. Inuyasha (manga from the same author) fics are quite good too. Lately I've taken a liking to Lone Wolf and Cub. The manga is plain awesome. I haven't read any fics yet, but probably will sometime soon.

Myriad

It's been a bit dead around here at SWFF recently, but I had an idea for a discussion for this thread:

For all of you at TFN: What do you think about the prospect of a Non-Star Wars fanfic forum at TFN? Pro, Con? Advantages, disadvantages? Slash, no slash? Share your thoughts! Very Happy

bkbva

Myriad wrote:
For all of you at TFN: What do you think about the prospect of a Non-Star Wars fanfic forum at TFN? Pro, Con? Advantages, disadvantages? Slash, no slash? Share your thoughts! Very Happy

Uh, why? Isn't that why other fandoms have websites?

That's not really meant to be a slap at anyone, it just seems to me that someone wants to add a lot of work for mods there. Just my $.02 as an occasional reader (man, I am soooo far behind; I've read like no fanfic in forever).

Trace
Global Moderator

I don't have a problem with a non-SW fanfic forum. Smile I mean, we have all kinds of other forums on TFN that have absolutely nothing to do with SW (sports, census, non-SW books/comics, hell - people aren't even allowed to talk about SW in JCC ;P) - why not fanfic? I probably won't read or write it, but I don't think it's a bad idea. Maybe some former-SW writers who've moved on to other fandoms will come back.

As to slash, those rules are set by the man who pays for TFN and are non-negotiable. I don't know why people even bother to argue about it.

JayCee
Site Admin

i've toyed with the idea of making another forum, seperate from this one, that is other fan-fic stuff, but like it's been said, there are so many forums for all the other big fan fiction areas like Potter that it would only really be good if you catered to the smaller fan fic areas...

TNPredsFan

Myriad wrote:
It's been a bit dead around here at SWFF recently, but I had an idea for a discussion for this thread:

I don't have a problem with it, but it will be a huge headache to administer from the mods' POV. I understand that the forum would have different mods than the SW fanfic, but it will be a full-time job keeping up with which authors do not allow fan fiction and I don't envy someone that task. I don't think Phillip Wise will appreciate receiving cease-and-desist orders from the likes of Anne Rice, Laurell K. Hamilton, etc.

Considering a decision has not been rendered in the JK Rowling lawsuit where she is suing the webmaster of a fansite for attempting to publish an unauthorized HP encyclopedia for profit, I'm not sure now is the best time to branch out and allow non-SW fanfic at TFN. IMO, it would be more prudent to wait and see what, if any, impact the decision has on fandom in general. I'm concerned that authors such as JKR and George Lucas who have been very lenient towards fandom activities will take a much more hard-line stance against things like fan fiction if the judge rules in favor of RDR and Steve Van Der Ark.

redtenko

here are sequels to Pride and Prejudice??? I thought Austen's novel a bit mild if not mediocre, but now I'm interested to know about sequels. And fanfic too. Help me?

oops, never saw this post to answer it, my bad. There are a number of P&P published sequels (the oldest of which I think was written in the 30s, but they've become very prominent as of late). The most famous one I think is Pemberly Nights or Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife or something like that. The only problem with that author, is she's trying so hard to write a regency style narrative that she only succeeds in creating something convaluted and far far FAR longer than it should have been. On the other hand, she gets Darcy more in-character than I tend to see him in fanfic. If you read for the smut, here's the thing: this lady likes writing about Darcys wang so much that the descriptions of it will be longer than the sex.

For fanfiction, a good website is hyacinthgardens.com, but it's a message board site that you have to register at to read the fic. Most of the P&P sites are like this, and I would NOT recomend trying fanfiction.net for Austen fanfic. It's...it's very bad.

Myriad

Not sure how many of us are still around, but thought I'd have a new discussion:

July 7th Discussion -- TFN Non-SW forum to be created!

It's definite that a NSWFF forum will be made on the JC. So, what are YOUR plans? Do you have a fic in the works to post as soon as it goes up? Toying with the idea of writing in another fandom? Or will you completely ignore it?

In addition, what effect do you think this will have on the rest of the JC?

Discuss Very Happy