Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic

ginchy
Global Moderator

'Trailblazing'... Devil Me likes... heh.

I envy your ability to write short stories, ginchy. My version of a short story is...well...Sadder but Wiser. That's short for me, and its a bloody chapter fic. That's why I write it in "parts" rather than chapters, because to me its just one long piece that really shouldn't be broken up, but is. Sometimes I just want to say one little thing, but I cant figure out how to say it without turning it into a blasted novel. I'd like to be able to just get my ideas out there as one neat whole, which is something I'm practicing for school. Creative writing class is not built for novel-length homework, even if I always turn in the thickest stack of papers. I've never found your stories rushing. If you come up with a story idea that needs chapters, then I'm sure you'll be able to adapt if it's important enough to you. Speaking of chapter stories, any word on the end to Measure of a Man? no no, bad Red, shouldn't bug authors...

hee, we both see the best in each other, then! My stories are short only because that's the only way I can write them. I beat my head against the wall trying to write chapter fics. I like how you have so much to say in your story and it all comes out so thoughtfully and well-placed.

As for MOAM, my co-author (Jade_Lotus) has been having a bout with DRL, but the story has not been abandoned, never fear! We have mapped it out completely, so the end is in sight. I think there are only 3 more chaps and the epilogue left. Very Happy Thanks for thinking of us!

Trace
Global Moderator

redtenko wrote:
I think my problem is I'm so obsessed with people invisioning the story exactly as I see it in my head, that I want to describe every little tiny thing. I need to cool down and say to myself: "Look, self. Everyone is going to have their own interpretation of a written work, and you need to learn to be okay with that."

I'm glad you mentioned that, because it's something I've struggled with, too. I'd write something with a particular feel or reader reaction in mind, and then the responses would be completely the opposite. I finally decided that it's easier to just tell the story and let reader response fall where it may, LOL. Blush

redtenko

ginchy- Oooh coming up on the end soon then? But dont worry, I can be patient. Chapter fics are....fun in their own way, and difficult in others because of the rigors of updating. Also, when I get an idea for another story before I've finished the one I'm working on...oy, that the definition of trouble.
But YAY for MOAM! I can be patient for updates, I'm just happy to be assured it'll be finished eventually Very Happy

trace - I recently went to a reading for the author Micha Perks. I'd read her book Pegan time, and was absolutely amazed by how different the tone felt when I was reading it versus listeing to her read. The book was a memoir with an off-beat darkness to it, but she read it out loud with this fantastic ironic exhuberance that completely flipped the book for me and made it a thousand times better. So I dont know if my internal narrative heard the words wrong, or if she didn't write succeed in writing the tone she wanted or if this was just one of those situations where people digest the same information differently, I dont know. Point is, I'm glad I got to hear the story the way the author wanted me to hear it, but at the same time, I got a lot of substance reading it my own way.

Busy like a fox!

So my fanfic writing has been essentially nil since school started. Seriously people, I've got novel to read by tuesday, a novel to write by feburary (actual assignment!!), about 30 pages of Horace to read by last monday, a dress fitting tomarrow, a birthday party for saturday, an essay for next friday, I need to start reading Gilgamesh, and we just got new baby rats. Also, I havent had dinner yet, and I gotta make that too. My summer excuses for lack of productivity may have sucked, but now that I'm a senior my time is not my own. Oh well, that doesnt mean I wont slack off my work and start back on fanfic eventually. It always happens, and it always bites me in the ass. But hey. Its me.

and with that said, ONWARD!!

The Sadder but Wiser Girl for Me Author's Notes: Chapter 3

If I had known how off my feeble outline this fic would have rolled, I'm sure chapter three would have been LOTS longer. As it stands, I like it. By this point in the story, I knew people were expecting the Luke-Mara meetup to be on its violent way, but I decided that I was just plain going to write the story another way. I wanted this to have an ensamble cast, and I wanted Luke and Mara to meet in the last chapter. So the question at hand was, what's going on in the mean time? Chapters 1 and 2 dealt perimarily with Luke, so it was time to see Mara's reaction...except I hadn't really figured out how I wanted to write it at that point. But that was all right for the moment, because there were other things to deal with, and scenes to expand on--the Lando subplot for example, and the set up for just how Mara was going to deal. I knew I wanted the Horns involved, because I love Mara/Corran friendship stuff, and I wanted the opportunity to frankly go crazy with Mirax.

So of course, enter Karrde. Its a chapter fic with Mara in it, there MUST be Karrde. Karrde needs to be in more things. They dont even have to be Star Wars related, he should just show up in places and radiate awesome.

“I’m sorry to call you so late, however…” Karrde began with his usual courtesy. But then he noticed Corran over Leia’s shoulder and something apparently snapped. “Horn—what in the blazes has your wife done to my second in command!?”

All eyes suddenly on him, Corran flinched, grimaced, and finally settled on a look of resignation. “I would very much like to know,” he sighed.

one of the best parts about Karrde is of course the Karrde-Mara relationship. They're the perfect balance of friends/buisness associates/family in this sweet yet virtually unspoken way. So my favorite part of this chapter has got to be the entire Han/Leia scene, particularly this part:

“I’m more worried about the morning,” Leia sighed, and was quickly pulled into her husband’s lap. She managed to lax her muscles a little as Han’s fingers began idly unwinding her braids, but even as her body calmed, her mind would not. Her brother’s future might be at stake. “Mara’s fuse is short enough right now without the press making this worse—if she runs...”

“Karrde’ll keep the rancors off Mara,” Han soothed, patting her knee as she tucked it aside his hip. He chuckled, the image of the smuggler nearly biting off Corran’s head through the comm still fresh. “Speaking of Karrde—you ever see him so wound up?” He laughed. “That was something.”

Leia grinned knowingly against his chest. “You see how funny it is in a few years when Jaina starts having boy problems,” she warned, looking up at him. The grin split into a laugh at the bug-eyed expression on Han’s face.

I love Han/Leia as a couple. In all the focus on Luke/Mara I sometimes forget how awesome my orrigional Star Wars ship is. At any rate, Leia was a tough one to write, but I like the way she turned out a lot. Leia is protective of Luke, but I was going for her reaction as a sister rather than as a rebel leader who wants to orchestrate everything. I'm pleased with the end result, although I will say that I'd orrigionally intended for Leia to have a different and bigger role in this fic, which I'll get to in the notes of a later chapter.

The most popular line in this chapter: Just as Han hit the door release, he heard his wife murmur, “She breaks his heart, I’ll break her ship,” and he barely made it out to the hall before doubling over in laughter. Once more, Leia had done something to remind him he’d married a Hutt strangler.

seriously, people on tf.net went nuts for this line! I felt pretty good about it when I was writing it, so it's nice to know this chapter held its on for the humor category of this fic.

As for things I didn't like...I wish I'd come into this chapter with a better plan for Mara. This is the first time we see her since the big reveal, and I'm not sure how I feel about how I presented her. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I reread it and dont. But you know what I do like? The vornskrs Wink

JayCee
Site Admin

Horace and Gilgamesh... nice combo.. Wink

Hugs!

School is a pain!

ginchy
Global Moderator

You have to write a NOVEL by February?? I could never, ever, ever finish that assignment. Oh, my! Maybe you can just take TSBWGFM and change some factual data?? Laughing

I liked that line, too (about Leia being a Hutt strangler). I like all of your lines! Very Happy

bkbva

OK, it's already been too long since I've read the latest chapter. Now I have to go back and re-read so I can understand your notes. Laughing

Oh, the pain.... Razz

redtenko

JayCee - I enjoy Horace. he's such a little snit!! I wasnt sure if I'd like Gilgamesh but so far, so good

ginchy - It may be more like March, I havent examined the calender completely, but the graduation requirement for Creative Writing majors is to create a manuscript. It needs to be done by spring quarter, because that's when I use my Senior Seminar class to edit the existing work

bkbva - I absolutely support rereads Wink

redtenko

I should be writing a poetry analysis right now...

instead, I'm on the internet. I obviously have a problem--but wait, I think it's the internet that has the problem, because I'm having far more trouble than I expected finding a Leia/Han smut. I find a few at a time, but come on! This is the orrigional ship! Where's my database?!

Anyway, because ginchy did it...

Redtenko's Fanfic Wishlist

What I'm working on:

The Sadder but Wiser Girl for Me - I feel no need to summarize this since its already posted and pretty much everyone who participates on this board has read it. It's status is: almost frickin finished! one chapter and an epilogue left, woo!! It will be worked on as time permits, and boy do I not have a lot of time at the moment.

Trailblazing - my first nc fic, a oneshot. I've started it, but it's on a far lower priority level. Unless inspiration flavored lightning strikes, the next chatper of Sadder but Wiser will be up before this story, but I'd like this one up before Sadder's epilogue. So. Summary: this is the fic I intended to write for the Naked Challenge, but chickened out on. That and the title should give ample hints about the plot Wink

Untitled Lurker Challenge Fic - right now its in the "coming up with a frickin plot" stage

Story that is probably beyond my capability to write, but I'm trying to anyway:

Something Good - in the Cowboy Bebop fandom there is a phenomenal epic fic called She Wanted to Die. It is a narrative and a collection of vingettes presented in an amazing dual format, and while I'm not going to attempt copying this style exactly (My brain might explode from the exhertion) I feel I came up with a plot this would really work well with, and I want to try my hand at something that's very new and to me, very big. I'm not going to give spoilers, but dont get too excited, since I feel this is going to be one of those stories that's more imporant to the writer than the readers. Still, I really want to write this so it WILL be up once I can give it proper attention. So far, two chapters are written, but neither of them is chapter 1 so there's no use in posting what I've got just yet.

Stories that I'd like to write if I had all the time in the world:

Untitled Han/Leia smut - if after Trailblazing and Sadder but Wiser's Extended Epilogue I still feel like I want to write smut, I'd like to write a Han/Leia. You know, give the orrigional SW ship its due props. It's pretty much about the first time Leia delibertly uses the Force during sex after she begins her Jedi training. Just a PWP Wink

Drabble Series - I had some Luke/Mara drabbles, and a Karrde/Shada one, up on the old board. I've been toying with the idea of expanding these into a...probably ten part drabble series.

Untitled Karrde/Shada fic that might or might not be smut (but probably will be) - Can you picture it? it's so beautiful in my mind!

Luke and Mara homecoming from Niruan fic - nothing like an old standard. People still like these, right? I mean, I do. Everyone has their own vision of what happened between the chapters, and I wanna write mine!

Mara Comforts Luke After Callista Leaves fic - another traditional topic in the LM world. The purpose of this fic is NOT to rant or to bash the beige one. I mainly would like an outlet to explain why I think the L/C pairing doesnt work, because I absolutely refuse to jump into message board flame wars about this. This way, I can do a nice LM friendship fic, get my opinion said, and then leave satisfied that I've said my piece.

Redtenko's Effing Giant Movieverse AU -A Han/Leia Luke/Mara fic. probably way too big a project to take on, but the plot would be that Leia doesnt come back for Luke while leaving Bespin--she can't accept the reality that she's hearing him in her mind and convinces herself she imagined it. So Vader takes Luke back to the Empire (have people already done this one? I think people have already done this one...) where they begin an odd partnership of plotting to destroy the emperor while trying to turn each other to the light/darkside. Mara is sent to asassinate Luke and fails, he responds by saving her from vader. There's the traditional trust build up, friendhip, lovers progression and Mara becomes a rebel sympathizer while Luke slowly and without realizing it begins to fall. Mara of course notices this, and leaves...not without getting pregnant first of course. Where would fanfic be if Mara didn't keep getting knocked up? And so, Mara has nine months to find Leia, help her get Han out of carbonite, find yoda, help train Leia and get as trained as her pregnant-self can be, and go through the whole of Return of the Jedi shtick as Luke's mental status and Leia not having enough time for Han through wrenches in the ladie's respective relationships. WOO! fun stuff. really. (seriously, has this fic already been written? Cause I'll nitch this and go read that one I swear)

Stories that I can probably never do but in my fantasies I can:

Redtenko's Effing Giant Dark Empire AU
- In this one, the reborn Emperor sends Mara a mental attack that nearly kills her for betraying him. The only reason that it doesnt kill her is the yasalmiri that Leia and Karrde manage to get to her in time. She's comatose, but with the yasalmiri bubble she appears to be dead through the force, and so Karrde and Leia have her publicly reported dead for her own protection. Flash forward two years, Cilghal has been working to restore Mara, but it's the solo twins who actually manage to revive her as palace is under attack. Mara awakes to find that Luke seems to have turned to the darkside, and the only ones who can fight him are a small group of half-trained or untrained force sensitives...and Leia wants her to train them. I've come up with a little more, but the main problem with this story is I can outline about half way through and then my brain says NO! there is NO MORE STORY FOR YOU. my brain is a bitch to me, really.

and finally...

Kam/Tionne smut fic - That's right. You heard me. Anyone else reading Out of the Shadows by Ash? I'm not usually a big Tionne fan but she is just so damn great in this fic and her and Kam's courtship is just about the sweetest thing ever. It got me in the mood for some KT smut, but as far as I've found, this doesnt actually exist. And if you want soemthing done....

ginchy
Global Moderator

These all sound great! I haven't read one like Redtenko's Effing Giant Movieverse AU, but I want to!!! I already want to be on your PM list. Laughing

JayCee
Site Admin

LOL, they all sound great!

Trace
Global Moderator

Untitled Karrde/Shada fic that might or might not be smut (but probably will be) - Can you picture it? it's so beautiful in my mind!

Yes!! Write it, write it, write it! Popcorn

Kam/Tionne smut fic - That's right. You heard me. Anyone else reading Out of the Shadows by Ash? I'm not usually a big Tionne fan but she is just so damn great in this fic and her and Kam's courtship is just about the sweetest thing ever. It got me in the mood for some KT smut, but as far as I've found, this doesnt actually exist. And if you want soemthing done....

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Kam/Tionne smut, either, but I’d totally read it. And, after Inferno Mad , they NEED some lovin’. Hearts

bkbva

I think I see what someone's going to be during during holiday break and next summer. Laughing

That's an awful lot of writing to take on. But from what I've read, if you decide to do it, it'll be terrific.

redtenko

bkbva - oh totally, the list is my vacation!

Trace
- My Karrde Shada plans include one smut who's plot needs some refinements and one non-smut with a companion Luke/Mara fic, and I'm verrry excited about both Very Happy I really dont know the first thing about doing a Kam/Tionne fic, but I'm not opposed to trying.

JayCee
- Thankyou kindly!

ginchy - I actually am very interested in writing this one. its been so long since I've written action, and that used to be my thing! I'd like to get back in the saddle, but it looks like a summer project probably.

Where does the time go? Oh yeah. Down a HOLE.

So I've been a bad boarder lately, what with school being a giant parade of busy, and when its over me being too exhausted to do little more than watch Hannah Montana. Why Hannah Montana? Excellent question. I don't know.

My school reading list has got me reading Balzac and Kafka next to each other. Ever tried that? It goes something like: "As Eugene de Rastinac awoke one morning from uneasy dreams, he found himself transformed into an aristocrat."

I'm hoping to do some non-school writing over Thanksgiving break, but that may be the soonest I can get my fic on.

Meanwhile, here's another edition of...
The Sadder but Wiser Girl for Me Author's Notes: Chapter 4

Really chapters thee and four should have been one chapter, but it felt too long as one whole and since four had such a nice flow to it I didn't want to cut off the ending. Orrigionally the Han-Lando scene continued from when he opened the door in the last chapter, but as you can see I took the whole thing and chopped it up to add some symetry to the mix. So it's two chapters, and thats the way (uh-huh uh-huh) I like it.

So, what was I trying to do in this chapter? I'm trying to remember... Basically the way I write is I create a scenario and then try to follow it to its logical conclusion. Corran's agreed to fetch Mara, how does that go? Lando's still got a crush, what's his reaction to the party? How's Luke's meditation coming along? And is Mara finally going to have lines again?! Some of these questions are partially answered in part 4! WOO!

Seriously though, I really liked this chapter....although I think you need to be a Lando fan to appreciate it to its full extent. Personally, I think Lando can be a lot of fun. This fic may have a bit of its own kind of drama, but its no dark story and I saw no reason to exile Lando from the group once LM is established (its not like he's Callista or anything, haha! oh I made a funny) Seriously though, he's smart, he's savvy, and hilariously smarmy--what's not to like? Plus it gave me the opportunity to write Han. I loooove stories where Han actively routes for Luke and Mara...hey, I love Han period! So putting Han and Lando in the same room gossiping like a couple of drunk sixth grade girls was loads of spectacular for me. (seriously there is so much booze in the first four chapters, why did I do that? Oh yeah, to give everyone something to do with their hands..)

But wait! There's more! Besides Han and Lando, we have Karrde in daddy mode, which always puts a smile on my face. Here's my favorite line of Karrde's practically one sided conversation with Mara: “But, whatever Skywalker did can’t be that bad. As far as I’ve heard he hasn’t turned Sith, or dented your ship. And surely he didn’t kill the Emperor again?”

The real important part of this chapter, however, was to shift the focus back to Luke and Mara who are kind of hovering at this point, what with Luke left in his trance at the end of chapter two and Mara seemingy suffering from PTSD. So far in the fic Mara has only been an active presence in one flashback scene, and she is shown as a silent figure in part three with a few second person accounts of what's going on with her. Now the reader finally gets to see her in present time active voice, so this was important.

Really the most important part of this chapter was to FINALLY get inside Mara's head, post Luke's confession. So the only thing I really regret about this chapter was that I didn't come in with a better plan for Mara. I like what I did with her internal voice in this chapter, but I feel like it could've been longer had I done some better planning. At this point in the writing stage I still hadn't quite decided the way I wanted Mara's reaction to go, and I wrote her with that uncertainty still looming over. I wish I'd picked a path and stolled along it confidently, but here we are. My favorite part of the Mara scene is this part:

‘I’m the one hiding from him,’ she realized, leaning her throbbing head against the speeder window. ‘I failed without even making a move’.

Something flamed inside her chest as she mulled this over. A bitterness she had not tasted in a while, but still remembered well, fell over her tongue as she burned with self reproach. ‘I sound like I’m giving up without a fight! Sithspawned Skywalker! I’m not even me anymore, I’ll show you…’
What? Show him what? Mara fumbled for an answer, but came up blank.

On the one hand it reflects my uncertainty as a writer, but in this case it actually worked out for me because Mara is feeling just as uncertain--its like I cheated! Wink

--but lining up the subplots with the secondary characters was also important in this chapter. I needed to leave them in a good place for the shift back to Luke-Mara POV in the next chapter.

So Mara gets her lines, goes to the Horns, Lando gets some schooling, and we leave on the confident note that Luke's trance is actually going somewhere.

Other fav parts:

“He’s in love with her?” Lando repeated Han’s words. He waited for the feeling of surprise, but what little there had been faded fast. His dropped jaw recovered and easily found a knowing smirk. “I guess that means Luke’s finally decided to return to the land of the living—but for Mara?”

Han shrugged a hint of smirk on his lips. His business face. “It’s really not that shocking. I mean, she’s done it before.”

“Done what?”

“Get him back to normal—well, normal’s kind of a stretch for Luke, but you know how he gets,” Han’s brows furrowed, he waved a palm to the air at his side in a sweeping gesture. “In those moods of his. He was in one of them when Leia was pregnant. Said old Kenobi told him he was the ‘first of the new Jedi’ or something like that and he got his robes in a twist worrying about being a teacher.

“Then Mara shows up, points a blaster in his face, and suddenly you can’t get him off the teaching idea. I guess turning the Emperor’s Hand around boosted his confidence or something, I don’t know. Point is, she seems to inspire him.”

--

“Mara doesn’t really bother her. I mean, they aren’t gal-pals or anything, but what really got her going was Luke.”

“What did Luke do wrong?”

“He didn’t tell her he liked Mara that way,” Han explained, shrugging his shoulders. “Apparently it’s insulting not to tell your sister who you’re in love with. It denies her the chance to meddle—I mean, ‘give advice’.”

--

“Allow me to explain my wife’s thought process,” Han began, looking just a hair too smug. “Luke isn’t just a war hero, he’s her hero. But he hasn’t been a very happy hero, and she does not like this one bit. Making Luke happy has kind of been her cause since the Rebellion ended, but with the kids and the Senate and Luke turning into a hermit…well, she was low on ideas. Now Luke’s picked something that can make him happy, and Leia is in full blown Sister-Mode. That means whatever Luke wants, Luke gets."

this is pretty much the way I picture Leia reacting at the end of VOTF...

--

A feather-light touch, a breeze upon his senses. It tasted familiar and new, sounded almost like a voice. It appeared as a Tatooinne sunset, red and gold.

mmm...forshadowing...

ginchy
Global Moderator

See, I LOVE Lando! Love He's not right for Mara, of course (she would eat him alive, or he would preen her to death) but I think he's a great guy. I need to write more of him. I've only written him in a few fics. Your Lando is great and I love your thought process on not making him only a road-block to L/M. And Han, of course, it always a riot.

redtenko

ginchy - Know what might be fun? A fic where Lando and Han get into trouble (because you know they always find a way) and Leia and Mara have to save their asses. It would be kind of a Han/Leia romance with a fun bickering parallel Lando crush/irritated Mara fic. Not to mention a Mara-Leia buddy flick, cause I do love it when they team up and do it well.

The Hamster is under the fridge. Seriously. Updates to follow.

my roomate just called me. I'm at home for the weekend but she dropped by the apartment to check on the hamster and found that the friggin thing escaped. After ransacking the house, Bubu was located under the fridge, and she's trying to draw her out with food.

In other news, I've got a six page paper on Edumnd Spenser's The Faerie Queen due monday, and yet I've been obsessing about this oneshot fanfic I want to write. It isn't even sadder but wiser related, although I was hoping to work on that this weekend. Seriously though, a lot of my fics get worked on when I've got other stuff to do for a grade. At this point one can only guess if my TA is going to recieve a brilliant analysis on Spenser's Chaucer-style epic, or a rough draft of an Luke/Mara piece with preps for a Karrde/Shada sequel.

because I'm just that great a student.