Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 bkbva's datapad 
bkbva

Okay, this is new for me, but how different can it be from general conversation? Right?

I admit it -- I'm a soccer mom. Well, I don't drive a mini-van or an SUV, so maybe I'm technically not, but I have a son who plays soccer and I'm at the soccer pitch (field) every weekend, so that makes me Soccer Mom.

Sometimes it's not easy being Soccer Mom. My son changed teams this year from the team he'd been with for the past four years. That team was having major problems, the largest of which was that the coach just couldn't -- coach, that is. Team used to be good, but I think it had reached the top of the "Peter principle" and just couldn't do more. It also didn't help that due to attrition, there was a severe player shortage which hurt the team badly in some games. So he's on a new team, but one of the differences is that they have a full roster, and he's one of the new kids. So his playing time is diminished, even though the coach really likes him. So he's upset, and as we all know, if our children are hurting, we hurt. If the team was winning, it might dull the pain a little, but they're struggling, too (IMHO they need a better goalie). Maybe next week....

JayCee
Site Admin

Nothing wrong with being a soccer mom who actually has a kid who plays Soccar Wink

Hopefully he'll get more playing time in the near future! Maybe as a goalie?

bkbva

Goalie is probably the toughest position to play. My kid's too slight and a little on the short side to play goalie and by this age, you've got to have been playing the position for a while to be any good. That's why good ones are so hard to find.

Another hot item today: So my daughter is living in an apartment on campus this year. Full kitchen and all. So she and the roommate are actually cooking for themselves rather than the meal plan. This is good both for my wallet and their nutrition I am sure. But daughter has never cooked much (yeah, probably my fault somewhat). So she periodically calls me to ask what to do with her food. Like what do I put in my hamburger. Today it was how do I cook a chicken breast? I don't know, I don't really remember asking my parents how to cook. On the other hand, when I was in high school, I started fixing dinner for when my parents got home from work. I guess I've spoiled my kids.

Then again, when I went away to school, I only could call home once a week. It was a long time ago and relatively speaking long distance calling was expensive. Now there's e-mail and cheap cell phones, it's like she's not even away from home.

She does make a mean tuna noodle casserole, though. Way better than mine.

ginchy
Global Moderator

Sounds like you're a busy gal!!

Here's my question--did you like soccer before your son played? I could care less about sports, but I always wonder if I'll like them more if I ever have kids to play them.

And I love that your daughter is calling you for advice on dishes! I call my Momma regularly for advice on everything. Momma knows it all! Wink And, tuna casserole--count me in. I'll be right over. Laughing Course, I'll have to not eat anything else all day in order to fit my points in... LOL!

redtenko

getting my own kitchen helped me lose my freshman fifteen. Seriously, dining hall food? I literally couldn't eat it, and survived mainly off milanos, corn chips, ramen, and tunafish. Lots of tunafish.

I called my aunt up all the time to ask for advice, and I was constantly traveling from room to room with a plate of meat asking housemates "Does this look done to you?". At one point I wanted to make London Broil but I realized I had no idea what "broil" even meant, or what a broiler was. That was a fun long distance phone call.

My best tool was my mother's old cookbook. It was her first one and the thing is from the 50s or possibly earlier. The nice thing about it is, it's very thurough. It doesnt assume you go into the kitchen knowing how to do anything. Want to bake a potato or boil some corn? this cookbook doesn't assume you can boil water, so it has the most basic recipes you could ask for along with the complex ones.

I started off barely knowing how to use my george foreman grill, but for the past two years I've been cooking for four.

Easy chicken recipe:

take half breast of chicken and put in baking dish with some chicken broth or vegatble broth for moisture. add seasonings (I use rosemerry, garlic, pepper, lemon juice, that kind of stuff). Bake in oven at 325 degrees for one hour, turning chicken over at the half hour mark.

And you know what else is really good chicken? the breaded chicken recipe on the back of the progresso bread crumbs box. It takes a little more prep time, but less cook time so it eavens out, and there's seasoned bread crumbs too (garlic and herb is love).

Trace
Global Moderator

I admire moms who support their kids in sports. I know that it's good for kids, but I've pretty much dodged that bullet so far. Blush Neither my husband or I played sports (we were both music geeks) and our limited experience with preschool T-Ball was not my idea of a good time. Neutral

I couldn't cook much in college, either, and pretty much lived on ramen noodles and mac & cheese, LOL. That's cool that she has her own place and kitchen! And asking how to cook something is always a good excuse to call mom. Smile

bkbva

ginchy: I've liked sports as a spectator since I was in high school. I probably didn't know soccer well until my son started playing, but I wasn't unfamiliar with it.

Yeah, tuna noodle is definitely not on the WW program -- unless you buy the frozen meal, that is. Definitely nowhere near as good, although edible, trust me. Very Happy

redtenko: Actually, my daughter said the cafeteria food is so bad that she was eating a lot of salad. I think she actually lost a little weight last year. She was planning to get a "college students" cookbook; my favorite cookbook is Joy of Cooking, which is ancient and has been updated several times, but rather overwhelming and not necessary for a student with no time to cook. I figure it will be a gift when she moves into her own apartment after graduation.

Trace: The only sports I ever played were the required ones in gym class. Hubby wrestled in high school, but generally abhors being a spectator for any sport -- I'm the one who watches ESPN. Laughing My son started late (fourth grade), and I think we settled on soccer because of the season. He never expressed an interest in baseball. Probably the only sport he doesn't seem to care about.

AG88

Nothing wrong with being a soccer Mom. I was a TaeKwonDo mom. The boys never expressed an interest in playing soccer. They were interested in martial arts because I was a black belt in my youth and had all types of trophies in the spare bedroom. They got up to blue belt before we moved. Unfortunately, living up here in the wilderness there is no martial arts studio nearby. I do plan on signing them up for scouts, swimming and ice skating.

I guess the big thing up here is skiing, dog sled racing and snowmobile racing. I talked to the guy who is building my home addition yesterday and he said he went to the snowmobile races last weekend. Raised Brow You know you moved to a cold weather state when they have snowmobile races in the summer. Don't ask me how they do it. He was driving a mud bogger truck in a separate race, so I assume some people modify snowmobiles to traverse the mud. Confused

I think I am going to miss Virginia. Crying or Very sad

I love my EOD man!

bkbva

My daughter did TaeKwanDo for a couple of years. Aside from the physical activity, I think it was her way to get some parental sports attention. It was pretty cool. I was kind of disappointed when she gave it up, but other interests intervened. Now she plays ice hockey at college.

Mud races, huh? Cool

AG88 wrote:
I think I am going to miss Virginia. Crying or Very sad

Heh, heh. Hugs!

ginchy
Global Moderator

I totally agree about the WW tuna casserole. It's just a bit... bland. But passable. Laughing

bkbva

I started to psych myself up to really buckle down and diet -- and then I remembered that tonight I have to fast for 24 hours, and when that happens, the break the fast meal is a killer. Bagels, cream cheese, lox. Cake. Anything. Because once you start putting things in your mouth after 24+ hours, you just want more, more more. Very Happy

So I guess the target is Sunday.

The one I really feel sorry for in this situation is my son. He's 16, so you know that means he's constantly eating. Not a lot at any one time, usually, but often. He's begged for lots and lots of food for dinner this evening so he thinks he'll be full all day tomorrow. Sundown is something like 8:00.

Yeah. I can hear it now. 11 am tomorrow. "Mom, I'm hungry."

bkbva

I've gotta say, I think I have a new favorite show -- Heroes. I saw little dribs and drabs of it during the season because my husband was watching it. He was watching it because my daughter was watching it. I kept TiVo'ing it, but never got around to watching. By the end of the season I gave up and said I'd just wait for the DVD set to come out. Which I did. I watched the first 10 episodes on the way to and from dropping my daughter off at school, and then I kind of put it on hold for a while. 15th of the month deadlines and all. I finally watched a little more today, but I'm just not going to make it through all of it by tomorrow night.

I just love it -- Hiro is adorable. So is Claire. Even some of the "baddies" seem to have some redeeming qualities. Not all of them, mind you. And I'm far enough behind that I may be wrong about that. I really need to catch up. Quickly.

My son scored a goal today! Woo Hoo!! It was pretty and the kid who set him up for the shot did a great job. He had lots more playing time today, and with the goal scored, he's a happy camper for today. Would have been better if they had won the game, but we'll take a tie. At least they didn't lose today. Things might be looking up.

ginchy
Global Moderator

Congrats to your son! That is awesome! Must be the weekend for it--another friend of mine's son did the same thing! GO TEAM!!!

Heroes. I haven't watched it! I really think I missed the bandwagon with that one. It seems like something I would really like.

bkbva

So another week goes by. I don't know, seems like nothing happened this week. It's weird now that the new TV season is starting up. I don't watch that many shows, but for the ones that I do, it's as if the world is starting over again. Four months between episodes really does that, I guess.

I wish I could say I've lost weight, but I still don't quite have my act together. But I looked in the mirror and didn't like what I saw, so I'd say I'm probably about ready to tackle it.

I read the Halloween challenge that Trace posted over at TF.N, and I've got to say, I am so very, very tempted to make my first attempt at fanfic. I have an idea floating around in my head, and if I can figure out how to actually make a story out of it and write some dialog, I'm in! Twisted Evil Otherwise, if someone wants my plot bunny, I might be happy to give it away.

Trace
Global Moderator

bkbva wrote:
I read the Halloween challenge that Trace posted over at TF.N, and I've got to say, I am so very, very tempted to make my first attempt at fanfic. I have an idea floating around in my head, and if I can figure out how to actually make a story out of it and write some dialog, I'm in! Twisted Evil

Chants: Write it, write it, write it!!!! Pray

We need a little cheerleader smiley. This one is kinda close. Dancing!