Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Star Wars: Vector 
Trace
Global Moderator

2008 will see Star Wars: Vector, a crossover story that will be “similar to Civil War in its scope and style,” according to Dark Horse’s Jeremy Atkins. One constant character will experience the story as it travels through all four of Dark Horse’s Star Wars titles: Knights of the Old Republic, Rebellion, Legacy and Dark Times. John Ostrander and John Jackson Miller will oversee the story direction through the titles. - Newsrama

STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC #25 — VECTOR part 1
JOHN JACKSON MILLER (W), SCOTT HEPBURN (P), MICHAEL ATIYEH (C), and TRAVIS CHAREST (Cover)
On sale Jan 30
FC, 40 pages
$2.99

A yearlong event with repercussions for every era and every hero in the Star Wars galaxy begins here!

When a terrible vision reaching more than four thousand years into the future alerts the secret Jedi Covenant to the importance of Taris, they activate an operative already on this planet overrun by Mandalorians. There, in the deadly Undercity, she will encounter a monstrous threat, an ancient legend, and Zayne Carrick, the Padawan accused of killing his fellow students!

For anyone who never knew where to start with Star Wars comics, “Vector” is the perfect introduction to the entire Star Wars line! For any serious Star Wars fan, “Vector” is the must-see event of 2008, with major happenings throughout the most important moments of the galaxy’s history!

ACK!! Anakin/Vader, Luke and Cade all in the same pic!

*dies*

And Zayne Carrick. Gotta love him, too.

I'm so excited!!!

**** Del Rey. I'm a Dark Horse girl now. Wink

Reading

bkbva

Aw geez, Trace, am I going to have to start reading all these comics, too? Laughing

JayCee
Site Admin

I had picked up the Knights of the Old Republic: Commencement at CE, and i got Flashpoint off of Amazon.co.uk... pretty good. I like Zayne... not as much as Cade... but he's cute, and the Mando's are awesome!

Trace
Global Moderator

bkbva: *looks around innocently* IIRC, Vector is only 4 issues. Wink The speculations about the identity of the female operative are hilarious. Morrigan Corde is the first name that came up. Which would make her over 4000 years old when she hooks up with Kol. Doh!

ROFL

JayCee: I just finished reading Commencement. Loved Zayne's last line: "You started it." Whack! I have Flashpoint and the third trade is due out this winter, I think. Gotta catch up!

bkbva

Oh, geez, I didn't see that there was a 13 page thread already!

Trace wrote:
The speculations about the identity of the female operative are hilarious. Morrigan Corde is the first name that came up. Which would make her over 4000 years old when she hooks up with Kol.

Wait, wait, I know -- she flow walked! ROFL

Trace
Global Moderator

Oops, I was wrong. It's 12 issues. (Don't know where I got 4 from, lol.)

More info as posted on the Dark Horse site:

Dark Horse press release:

From the Editor

RANDY STRADLEY, EDITOR
VECTOR, VECTOR, VECTOR!!!
Updated 10/23/2007

Look up the word "vector" in your dictionary. Go on, dig out your dictionary and find "vector"--I'll wait. (Tum-de-dum-dum. . . ) Okay, got it? Notice that it has three definitions.

1. A mathematical term for "a quantity completely specified by a magnitude and a direction." (Think "there's something big and it's coming right for us!")

2. "An organism that carries pathogens from one host to another." (Like fleas, mosquitoes, or werewolves that spread diseases through their bites, Typhoid Mary, that sort of thing.)

3. "A force or influence." (Just like what it sounds like. And what could be more appropriate, when talking about Star Wars, than a Force?)

Interestingly enough, all three of those definitions are applicable to the events and/or characters in "Vector," our big Star Wars crossover that starts in January.

Our story starts in Knights of the Old Republic #25. Three-thousand nine-hundred sixty-three years before the Battle of Yavin, the Mandalorians have overrun the planet Taris and driven its surviving populace into the Undercity deep below ground. Among the survivors are Padawan-turned-fugitive Zayne Carrick and his opportunistic partner Gryph. While Zayne and Gryph have mostly survival on their minds, the Mandalorians are searching for something in the ruins of the Undercity--something long lost and long forgotten. When the Mandalorians find it, Zayne and Gryph find themselves caught up in an adventure that will last for the next forty-one centuries! Fortunately for you, it will only take us one year to tell the tale-one issue per month.

As mentioned, the event begins in Knights of the Old Republic #25, this coming January. The KOTOR segment runs until issue #28, then jumps to Dark Times #11-12, then to Rebellion #15-16, and finally to Legacy #29-32 at the end of 2008. Along the way, everyone from the high and the mighty to the lowly and the wretched will find their lives affected by the events "Vector." Lives will be changed. Some characters will be inspired to heroism they didn't know they capable, others will have their faith in themselves shaken and their wills broken. Some will succumb, some will fall fighting valiantly but in vain, and others will survive . . . and even thrive. In the best tradition of all of the best Star Wars stories, "Vector" features not only a huge galaxy-wide threat (like in A New Hope or Return of the Jedi), but also intensely personal stakes for the characters involved (like in The Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith)

Now that we have it underway, and almost ready to unveil, we can reveal that writers John Ostrander and John Jackson Miller spent the better part of a year working out the plot for "Vector"--with help from Legacy artist and co-plotter Jan Duursema, and writers Rob Williams (Rebellion) and Mick Harrison (Dark Times). Even fellow editor Jeremy Barlow, assistant editor Dave Marshall, and myself had our hands in the story. "Vector" is a big project for us, and a big event for Star Wars comics, and it couldn't have come about without the synergism between all of those involved and the great foundation of High Adventure set down by the Star Wars films.

Hmm, "synergism." Maybe while you have your dictionary handy you'll want to look up that word, too . . .

Vector 1 cover:

JayCee
Site Admin

hehehe, I like this guy... Very Happy

Trace
Global Moderator

Randy's great! I met him at C 4 - nice guy.

bkbva

I should be working already, but I decided to start my day by looking at some old postings. Now, I have the first issue of Vector, but I haven't read it yet, so take this with a grain of salt, but I saw this:

Trace wrote:
The speculations about the identity of the female operative are hilarious. Morrigan Corde is the first name that came up. Which would make her over 4000 years old when she hooks up with Kol. Doh!

ROFL

... and I can't resist getting all sorts of weird ideas based on the revelation in Legacy #19. Laughing

Trace
Global Moderator

*snort*

LMAO LMAO LMAO

You know that every single new female character who comes along now is gonna be speculated as one of Calixte's "operatives." ROFL

I'm finally completely caught up with the KOTOR comics and I like 'em a lot! Zayne is Love . If I had to pick a comic Jedi to be my real life friend, he'd be the one. He's not all conflicted/angsty like Dass (in Dark Times) or emo/grouchy like Cade, but he's the normal, nice guy.

And I could sooooooooo be a Zayne/Jarael shipper! Kissy Face

bkbva wrote:
I should be working already, but I decided to start my day by looking at some old postings. Now, I have the first issue of Vector, but I haven't read it yet

Let me know what you think when you've read it. Vector is supposed to be a good jumping-in point for new readers and there's currently a bit of a debate over on the Dark Horse board about whether or not the comic is actually reader-friendly for people who are not familiar with the KOTOR comics.

bkbva

Trace wrote:
Let me know what you think when you've read it. Vector is supposed to be a good jumping-in point for new readers and there's currently a bit of a debate over on the Dark Horse board about whether or not the comic is actually reader-friendly for people who are not familiar with the KOTOR comics.

Wow, I didn't realize how long it's been. With tax time over, I just got around to reading it. As in last night. Laughing I'm wishy-washy on the answer to that question. I had previously gotten the KOTOR character guide that came out in uh, January? December? Anyway, I got that in anticipation of Vector, so I at least knew who the major players were. Then again, I probably should have re-read it before picking up Vector #1. I'm going ahead and getting the next issue (cripe, I'm ordering that and Legacy 20 & 21, and gotta find Legacy 22! I am sooo behind! And if the release date for #22 is yesterday, why is it still a pre-order at TFAW?). I'm intrigued enough to keep going.

But what's with the zombie thingies? I guess that's where there's a disconnect with the previous issues.

Rigil Kent

I've recently gotten into the KOTOR comics myself (after my gaming group insisted that I run a Star Wars RPG and I'm so thoroughly disgusted with the post-TTT franchise that I needed to go backwards to avoid the suck.)

Anyway, I currently own the first three TPBs (Commencement, Flashpoint, and Days of Fear, Nights of Anger). I went ahead and ordered all of the rest of the KOTOR comics from Dark Horse and they should probably be in tomorrow.

So far, I'm really enjoying this series. Can't say I'm a "Zayne/Jarael" shipper, though. Still, looking forward to reading those comics when they come in tomorrow...

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.

Trace
Global Moderator

Cool! I'm headed to the comic shop in about an hour to pick up the issue that came out today.

I gotta confess that I wasn't too impressed with the Vector portion of the story. It was good and certainly set up the rest of the Vector series, but all the awesome plot that happened in 19-24 came to a screeching halt when Vector started because it jumps a month forward in the time line. (Not to mention that the art in Vector is...what's a nice word? Controversial. Okay, it burns my retinas, but you didn't hear me say that. Wink ) JJM said he wrote four separate drafts for Vector and had to leave out a LOT of the characters before it was approved. I'll be excited to get #29 when the non-Vector story starts again. Very Happy

Rigil Kent

Trace wrote:
I gotta confess that I wasn't too impressed with the Vector portion of the story. It was good and certainly set up the rest of the Vector series, but all the awesome plot that happened in 19-24 came to a screeching halt when Vector started because it jumps a month forward in the time line. (Not to mention that the art in Vector is...what's a nice word? Controversial. Okay, it burns my retinas, but you didn't hear me say that. Wink ) JJM said he wrote four separate drafts for Vector and had to leave out a LOT of the characters before it was approved. I'll be excited to get #29 when the non-Vector story starts again. Very Happy

I completely agree. The story was kicking ass and cruising along really nicely, then BAM! Vector started and I started wondering 'WTF is this nonsense?' I really don't like this whole Vector storyline. Sad

Needless to say, my comics came in today and I read through them.

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.

Trace
Global Moderator

Edit: We must have posted at the same time. Wink

Okay, Vector 4/KotOR 28 was much, much better! It's starting to feel like KOTOR again. Gang's all back together and Zayne has had enough. Bring it on!!! Very Happy

I am looking forward to the next Vector installments, if for nothing more than the artists:

Douglas Wheatley comes back for Parts 5 and 6 in the Dark Times era, then Dustin Weaver (my favorite KotOR artist) is drawing Part 7 and 8 in the Rebellion era, and Jan is drawing Legacy. Cool

We've got Celeste vs. Vader and Luke. Guess we'll get Celeste v. Cade or Krayt or...Corde/Calixte? LOL