Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 RebelMom's Ramblings 
RebelMom

I've never done one of these, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I start classes on Monday. The state is paying for it and I'll still get unemployment in the mean time. Hopefully, when I'm finished (I'm taking computer classes) I'll get a decent paying job.

After over 20 years in the mortgage business, I'm practically starting over. I've got transferrable skills, but I'm lacking in certain computer skills. All the companies I've worked for had their own software. My MS Office knowledge is lacking, thus the reason I'm taking the classes. I also plan on getting certified in MS Office. I need all the help I can get.

Lady_Mara

Bravo, RM! Clapping Smile

You bailed from mortgage business at an opportune moment, I think, based on the pitiful housing market. Where I live in Florida, it was blooming just a year and a half ago, now it's in the toilet and it sounds like it's that way everywhere, with people foreclosing right and left and not being able to sell and having to rent out.

Computer training is wonderful, IMO. It's specialized but it also fits a broad range of office environments. Very Happy

I also am experiencing a career change. After some years in mental health/addictions, I'm branching into medical transcription. I love the flexible hours, feel I'm providing a valuable service since more hospitals are opening in my community, and love not having to commute LOL Dancing! And, hee!!!! the dictators are interesting to listen to, all the background noises and accents, it's very entertaining at times. One time, a dictator yawned while they were dictating Laughing

Good luck with your classes!! Smile

JayCee
Site Admin

Have fun at your classess!

And good luck for the future!

Diva

Good luck, RM! This must be an interesting time for you. What is it you'd like to get into with the new skills?

bkbva

I didn't know you could get certified in Office. I thought that was only for programming launguages. What do I know? Razz

Good luck in your classes!

RebelMom

I didn't bail from the mortgage business by choice. The company I was working for - First Magnus Financial - suddenly went belly up in August. I also found out that the last company I worked for in Seattle - a subprime lender - also went belly up. Since it's a declining industry, I qualify for retraining money. I'm looking into Administrative Assistant positions. I have lots of office experience, I just need to learn the office suite (Word, Exel, Powerpoint, Access and Outlook). I know a couple of them but not all. When I saw that you can get certified in them, I decided I would take the tests for that. I need all the help I can get on my resume.

I got a notice from the US Bankruptcy court so I can file a claim. Nobody got paid before the company closed. I don't know if I'll ever get that last paycheck.

ginchy
Global Moderator

eeeek! Sorry to hear about the career problems, RM! I'm glad that you're getting new training to open new avenues to you! Keep us posted!! Hug You!

JayCee
Site Admin

Admin Assist is a good job. And certifications always help! Smile

Trace
Global Moderator

I know some Admin Assistants who've done very well, so that could work out great for you! Good luck!!! Hugs!

RebelMom

It's amazing how much I don't know about programs I always use. There are so many things you can do with Word that I've never had the opportunity to use. So far the classes are going quickly and I'm always learning something new.

Diva

It's cool, isn't it? I had to take some courses over the summer, and now I am so interested in learning more, especially about photoshop.

What kind of things are you learning about?

RebelMom

Right now I'm sticking to MS Office (Word, Excel, OUtlook, Powerpoint & Access) and QuickBooks. The program I've signed up for also allows me to take some other classes in Frontpage, Publisher, HTML, Illustrator, CorelDraw, Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash(most of which I haven't a clue about)

JayCee
Site Admin

dreamweaver is so much fun!
I am learning how to use it to make awesome stuff...
i'm going to redo the fin fic website since I discovered a few new things.. Very Happy

RebelMom

My Fic Wish List (or what I should be doing list)

Working On:
Sequel to Running Into Old Friends to be titled Running Away From Old Friends. It's outlined (though that was done about a year ago or so) I've got 2 full chapters done and am slowly working on the 3rd. It's got a couple of different plotlines running through it that I need to keep straight. My brain isn't functioning lately, but I'm hoping it will be soon.

Will eventually work on:
Sequel to Padawannabe With Me to be titled Knights in Brown Homespun. No outline yet, but I've got an idea where it will go. It will pick up after the last fic with Luke and Mara finding out they did have a repress med failure. I will also have Mara find out who her parents are. Of course, I'll also throw in the rest of the family - Han, Leia, Anakin and Padme - though I don't know what they will be doing yet.

Something different:
A darker fic entitled Blurring the Lines. A Vaderkin type fic. Anakin doesn't die on the Death Star. He gets medical attention - but he's not miraculously handsome and young. Also he isn't a perfect Jedi, not a Sith anymore, almost skirting the line. I've given Luke an OC wife (she's a nurse) in this one and a little daughter. Basically, tragedy strikes and Luke joins forces with his father to hunt down the bad guy. I've had 11 pages done for sometime, but lost the darker muse.

Will probably never finish:
A Luke/Vader fic where Vader gets a hold of Luke when Luke returns to the farm and finds his Aunt and Uncle dead. After 3 pages, I never figured out which direction I wanted to go.

Diva

Sounds like you have a lot of interesting ideas!

I love the title "Knights in Brown Homespun." I automatically started to hear The Moody Blues. Clever title. Wink