Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic

Rigil Kent

Chapter 7

He hadn’t been looking forward to this.

It had no official name, but, in recent months, Luke had taken to calling it ‘Hell Week.’ Once a month, his sister would organize a party for her friends and co-workers, almost all of whom were well educated, wealthy and so utterly different from him that Luke invariably donned his Jedi ‘mask’ to avoid showing his rimworld origins. He knew Leia wasn’t trying to be arrogant or snobbish with these parties, but he’d long since grown to suspect she always felt a little guilty that she’d been raised as a princess while he had been stuck on Tatooine so she tried to make it up to him in the only way she knew how.

If Luke was honest, though, he always felt like he had gotten the better deal, especially when Hell Week rolled around.

The worst part of these parties were the women Leia tended to steer toward him, despite Luke’s oft repeated request for her to stop doing so. It wasn’t that she was necessarily trying to set him up – though there clearly was a minor element of that in her intent – but rather, it was another indication of her deep-rooted guilt that she had found happiness with Han while Luke was still single. Had he not grown up with such a strictly traditional upbringing, Luke suspected he would have enjoyed the parties more and taken advantage of what was so often … offered to him. Lando certainly had no problems enjoying himself.

To Luke’s mild disgust, though, the number of women who seemed interested only in brief and meaningless sexual liaisons had doubled since the rumors linking him with Mara began.

This month, Leia had decided to combine the monthly party with the celebration marking Jaina and Jacen’s first birthday. Well-wishers and sycophants alike had come out of the woodwork to attend and Luke knew for a fact the Noghri had tripled their presence for this particular event. Throw in the various security detachments for the high-ranking VIPs and it seemed as if there were more bodyguards present than actual partygoers. Fortunately, that made it easier for Luke to avoid the more predatory of the women like the one who had been pursuing him for nearly an hour.

Not that he was hiding, exactly. After all, a Jedi knew not fear.

“Is she gone?” he asked softly of his companions. Lando snickered into his wine even as Corran nodded, eyes glittering with poorly concealed mirth. Luke released a soft sigh of relief but didn’t relax or move away from the potted plant he’d sought refuge near. He had learned not to relax at the last of these functions.

“You know,” Horn smirked, “You could just mind trick her into leaving you alone.”

“Won’t work,” Luke revealed sadly. “I already tried that.” Corran looked at him with wide eyes, obviously surprised, and Skywalker flushed in mild embarrassment when he recalled all the times he’d cautioned the other man from abusing his Force gifts in any way. “You don’t understand,” Luke grumbled, not liking how whiny he was sounding but unsure how to stop it. “She’s evil and deceptive. More manipulative than Palpatine ever was.”

“She’s a social climber, Luke,” Lando commented as he sipped his drink. “Don’t tell me they don’t have them on Tatooine.”

“Have you ever been to Tatooine?” Skywalker asked rhetorically, before groaning at sight of the malicious Coruscanti woman whose name he couldn’t even remember. Kristyl or Jewyl or something ridiculous like that. “Kriff,” he muttered before trying to make himself smaller. Lando followed the line of his gaze and blinked.

That’s who you’ve been avoiding all night?” Calrissian asked before shaking his head in mock disgust. “I’ve got this, Luke,” he offered, a wicked smile on his lips. Like a shark seeking its prey, Lando made a beeline for the woman, eyes twinkling. In seconds, the two of them had disappeared toward the dance floor and Luke felt a wave of relief wash over him.

“You should have just brought Jade,” Corran said with a half-smile. “She could have defended your honor if you won’t.”

“Mara’s on a shipping mission offworld,” Luke replied sullenly. “Which you well know.” He frowned slightly at the subtle – for Corran, anyway – mindtouch. “Trying to fish for a reaction with the Force, Corran?” Skywalker asked.

“Hey, you tried to mind trick that lady,” Horn defended himself, eyes still twinkling. “Besides,” he continued, in a slightly more serious tone, “If you’re not going to give out free pointers any more, I've got to figure some things out myself.”

Luke sighed. That decision had been a difficult one, but in the end, he believed it to be the correct one. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, Yoda had warned, the most serious mind. It was a conflict Luke had yet to resolve: could one be a part-time Jedi or was that simply impossible? Until he discovered an answer, he had ended his various impromptu training sessions. Leia had accepted it without complaint, but she rarely had time for lessons anyway. The same held true for Corran who was so often deployed with Rogue Squadron that he’d only managed some rudimentary instructions on mental focus and control anyway. Mara, who Luke realized with some mild surprise was the furthest along in her training, claimed to understand, but he had grown to know her well enough to recognize her disappointment.

“Good evening, Lieutenant Horn,” Leia said as she approached, snapping Luke out of his reverie. “I hope you’re enjoying yourself.”

“That I am, ma’am,” Corran said with a smile and a half bow. He gestured toward the dance floor. “If you’ll excuse me, though, my wife beckons.” Leia gave him a smile as he headed toward where an impatient-looking Mirax stood.

“Why are you hiding over here?” Leia asked the moment Horn was out of earshot and Luke smiled.

“Why do you think I’m hiding?” he retorted.

“Luke, if you get any closer to that plant, I’m going to have to send out the wedding invitations,” his sister chuckled, and Luke joined her. It was good to hear her laugh, and he was glad she didn’t appear to be angry at his most recent refusal to do any missions for the Republic. She slid her arm into his and started pulling him back toward the cluster of visitors. “If you’re bored,” she commented, “Just say so.”

“I’m bored,” he replied instantly, smiling as he spoke. “You know how I hate these things,” he added softly. He grimaced suddenly as he recognized who Leia was steering them toward and shot her a frustrated look. She returned it with a tight smile.

“You know Lieda, I believe,” Leia began, gesturing to the chancellor’s daughter. With dark red hair and aquiline features, Lieda bore a striking resemblance to a younger version of mother.

“Master Jedi,” the woman said in greeting, inclining her head with perfectly simulated respect.

“Ambassador,” Luke replied, schooling his features to stillness. Emotion, yet peace, he recited to himself, all the while mentally planning his revenge on Leia for this. He doubted his sister knew how badly Mon Mothma’s daughter disliked him or for what reason. From the glint in his sister’s eyes though, he wondered if perhaps she did know and this was simply revenge for the unbelievably noisy and obnoxious toys he’d given the twins as presents earlier. Redheads are my bane, Luke reflected in morbid amusement as Lieda subtly glared at him over the top of her wine glass. He suspected that Mara would have laughed at his current predicament, especially once she learned the particulars about Lieda’s dislike of him.

A shiver suddenly crawled up his spine and Luke glanced around the reception hall, his eyes narrowing as he tried to discern the source of his sudden unease. Instinctively, his hand dropped to the lightsaber hanging from his belt and he felt rather than saw Leia stiffen in recognition of his unspoken warning. Across the hall, he saw Corran abruptly stop dancing – if one could actually call it that – and glance in his direction, and Luke could sense the sudden heightened status of the carefully hidden Noghri watching him.

“Luke?” his sister asked, and he responded with a slight shake of his head. Whatever it was, it had already receded, vanishing like so much smoke in the face of a stiff wind. Had it been some residual effect of Palpatine’s presence or something else? Or maybe some one else?

“It’s nothing,” Luke murmured. “Ambassador,” he nodded to the haughty-looking Lieda, before turning his eyes to his sister. She seemed to instantly recognize her brother was gone and that Jedi Knight Skywalker had taken his place.

“Go,” she whispered, releasing him to patrol the area and seek out the disturbance in the Force that had affected them both. He smiled, leaned forward to kiss her on the forehead and turned away, noting without surprise that Han was already moving to join him. Lando and Corran met them at the doorway and fell into step without question. They spent the remainder of the night searching for the elusive source of darkness that had momentarily touched the banquet.

But by morning, they’d still found nothing.

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.

Rigil Kent

No thoughts? Alas ...

|-*-|

Chapter 8

There was nothing more to say.

Unable to shake the sense of foreboding which had haunted him for over two months, Luke stood silently on the landing pad and watched as the bulk-lifting droids carried sealed crates into the Second Chance’s hold. He wasn’t about to ask Mara to cancel this trip to the Elrood Sector on a hunch, especially not after having seen firsthand how hard she had fought to get this contract in the first place, no matter how badly he wanted to. In the seven months since the collapse of the Smuggler’s Alliance, Luke had watched her struggle to make ends meet in the face of a hostile system. On one side were the Republic and their utter lack of trust of her and on the other was the less than unified front of smugglers who still seemed to blame her for the failure of the Alliance.

Karrde had lent a discreet hand whenever he could, diverting jobs to her which were too small for his organization, but Luke suspected Mara was chafing at what she perceived to be glorified hand-outs. This naturally led a proud woman like her to jump at this opportunity, no matter how dangerous the Elrood run was right now. It would be a difficult trip, one which would take her away from Coruscant for at least a month and a half – more if she experienced trouble. There were pirates and slavers and backstabbing smugglers to deal with along the way, not to mention the random spatial anomalies which always made space travel a dangerous proposition even in the best of times. A sane person wouldn’t even think about a trip like this…

Luke was unbelievably jealous.

“Come to see me off?” Mara asked as she rounded the battered-looking YT-2400, a datapad in hand. Giddy excitement was rolling off of her in waves, robbing her of the grim intensity which had been hanging over her since Luke had first met her and it made her even more attractive than normal. As she nearly danced over the ferrocrete landing pad, her infectious joy radiated off of her and caused him to return her smile despite his worries.

“Sort of,” he replied before gesturing to Artoo. The astromech droid was rolling around the landing pad, exchanging beeps and whistles with the slow-moving loaders. Luke wasn’t sure, but he suspected the droid was issuing orders to the less intelligent loaders. “Artoo is bored and I wanted to ask if he could go with you.” Mara’s eyes narrowed.

“Are you trying to keep an eye on me?” she asked tightly. Luke responded with a laugh.

“I’m serious, Mara,” he replied. “He’s so bored right now that I caught him rewiring my speeder yesterday.” Luke took a step closer to her, making sure he kept his mental barriers down so she could tell he was being completely honest. “You’ll need someone to watch your back out there,” he continued, “And there’s no one better to do that than Artoo.”

Mara was silent as she studied the droid for a long moment. Finally, she shrugged.

“As long as he does what I tell him,” she said, her excitement returning, “I guess I could use his help.” Luke doubted she was even aware of her pronoun use for the droid and hid a smile at how telling it was; after all, she still referred to Threepio as ‘it’.

“I’ll let him know,” Luke assured her. Once again, the bad feeling he’d been trying to suppress returned and his smile faltered. Mara gave him a sidelong look.

“Quit worrying, Skywalker,” she ordered. “I’ll be fine.” Her smile was dazzling and lit up her face. “Besides,” she continued, “I’ll have Artoo with me.”

“It’s not you I’m worried about,” Luke muttered. He glanced away, allowing his eyes to drift across the cityscape as he touched the Force. In the two months since Jaina and Jacen’s birthday celebration, he had fought a growing sense of unease that he didn’t entirely understand. Meditation had revealed only confusing hints of possible future events, but ultimately left him as in the dark as before. Something was happening, something big, something unseen…

He nearly jumped when Mara touched his arm and gave her a sheepish look. The concern in her eyes warmed him, but Luke firmly suppressed that thought.

“You really are worried,” she realized before biting her lip and glancing at her ship. Luke could almost feel her reconsidering her decision to make this trip, regardless of how desperately she needed the money. It was humbling how much she seemed to trust his instincts. He spoke quickly.

“It’s not about your trip, Mara,” Luke admitted. “It’s something … elsewhere. Elusive.” Even as he spoke, he knew his words didn’t make much sense. A sigh escaped his lips. “Something’s coming,” he said softly, his words pitched for her ears alone. “Something dark and terrible. When next we meet,” Luke spoke, the words falling from his lips like a prophecy, “everything will be different.” Mara blinked at the intensity of his words and Luke shook his head as he examined what he had just said.

“I hope that wasn’t intended to make me feel better,” Jade muttered sarcastically, causing him to grin. For a half-second, Luke contemplated giving her a hug to wish her a safe journey, but he quickly discarded the idea. Mara Jade was anything but a tactile person and she was still getting accustomed to his spontaneous gestures of affection. Instead, he reached out with his left hand and gripped her shoulder lightly.

“Stay safe, Mara,” Luke smiled. “May the Force be with you, my friend.” To his absolute surprise but secret delight, she blushed under his intense scrutiny and quickly turned toward her ship. She gave him a hesitant backwards glance as she fast-walked up the ramp and Skywalker hid his smile. “Artoo,” he called and the droid whistled in response. “Watch over her,” Luke instructed. “Keep her safe.” The resulting electronic reply could have been a laugh or a snort, but he didn’t need Threepio to guess at its meaning.

Luke stayed within visual range of the cockpit as Mara prepped the Second Chance for flight, pulling up his hood to shield his face when rain began to fall. As the engines ignited with a low rumble, Luke smiled and raised his hand in response to Mara’s awkward wave of goodbye. The ramp slid closed and the Chance lifted off the landing pad with deceptive grace.

In seconds, it had vanished into the sky.

Less than an hour later, Luke found himself entering the Senate building, his Jedi ‘mask’ firmly in place even as trepidation swam in his stomach. Leia’s request for him to join her and Han for lunch had been carefully worded to avoid any mention of it being another recruiting drive for the Republic and he hoped it wouldn’t turn into one. It had been four months since he’d told Mon Mothma he was no longer available and the Republic had finally gotten the message that he wasn’t bluffing. Though it remained a source of tension between them, Luke was pleased Leia seemed to have finally realized his decision wasn’t a personal one.

The sensation of being watched caused Luke to hesitate and he glanced around to find the source of it. One of the Senatorial guards seemed to focus on Skywalker’s abrupt halt in mid-step and was obviously poised to spring into action, but Luke’s gaze passed over the man to fall on a dark-haired woman he knew from the Kuat mission. Unease bubbled up in his stomach as the recently elected Senator Viqi Shesh gave him a look of abject disdain before vanishing into her office. They’d been forced to work together quite often during the two months Luke had been on Kuat, and he’d grown to loath the woman for reasons too numerous to list.

“There you are,” Leia’s voice called him and Luke turned to face her. Han was a half-step behind her, a slightly annoyed look on his face and Skywalker wondered if they had been arguing again before deciding that, unless they involved him, it wasn’t really his concern. For his part, he agreed with his brother-in-law over their usual disagreements – Leia was badly overworked, but she listened to his advice so rarely in the best of times that Luke didn’t bother mentioning it anymore.

“Here I am,” he replied, still trying to shake off the feeling of unfriendly eyes upon him. Shesh’s door was closed, he noted, so that couldn’t be it. The Guardsman was still watching him, but that was the man’s job especially with Luke’s abnormal behavior. A pair of junior senators was pointing excitedly in his direction, jabbering away in a language he didn’t understand. Nothing was out of place. Luke wondered if perhaps he was overreacting, if stress and lack of sleep was beginning to affect his judgment. I need to get off of Coruscant for a while, he realized, quickly deciding to push up his planned research trip to the Ossus dig site.

Forcing a smile on his face – a smile that he didn’t really feel – Luke addressed his sister. “Where are we eating?” he asked.

“I was thinking we could order in,” Leia said, looping her arm through Luke’s. “Han knows this restaurant that makes some of the best Alderaanian cuisine on the planet.”

“And you could visit the kids,” Solo added as he drew even with them. “Jaina has started stealing Jacen’s toys from him,” he continued.

“Using the Force,” Luke guessed, laughing slightly at Han’s disgruntled expression. “That sounds like fun,” he admitted as the three of them headed toward the exit. “But no politics,” he warned his sister with a teasing smile. Sighing melodramatically, she nodded in agreement and then spoiled it with a light laugh.

As he neared the exit, something caused Luke to glance back. With a frown, he realized there was still nothing out of place and didn’t know why he’d felt the urge to re-examine the Senate building. Something had changed though, something that remained unseen to him despite his Force-enhanced senses. The atmosphere of the place had altered, transformed somehow, and it immediately reminded him of the deep breath taken before making a plunge.

“When next we meet,” his earlier prescient words to Mara echoed in his ears, “everything will be different.”

And Luke Skywalker shivered.

-END-
Watch for The Unseen War I: Tyranny Reborn coming…

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.

redtenko

"Tyrrany Reborn coming..." coming when!? Dude, you're gonna leave me hanging there? No fair!

bkbva

redtenko wrote:
Dude, you're gonna leave me hanging there? No fair!

Whoa! I didn't realize that this story wasn't going to have an ending! I was starting to get concerned as I saw the story nearing a conclusion yet it didn't seem to have an ending.

Keep going, you certainly have my interest.

bkwrm

Awesome, awesome, awesome ending! Clapping

I am glad that Luke and Leia have sort patched things up. And any and all scenes invloving Luke and Mara are my favorite. Very Happy I really love how you write her.

I am totally looking forward Tyranny Reborn. I hope that you post very, very soon. Pray

Rigil Kent

One last thing...

|-*-|

FADE IN:

Through the mist and trees of Dagobah, two figures appear, somersaulting in perfect harmony over a fallen tree as they run through the mist. As they land, we can identify them: LUKE SKYWALKER and MARA JADE. Both are dressed for exercise and training, and both have lightsabers at their waists. Mara appears winded but Luke does not.

FADE TO BLACK:

Text scrolls across the black screen:

IN THE DARKEST OF HOURS…

FADE TO:

It's a spectacular lightfight. X-Wings, A-Wings and B-Wings face off against TIE Interceptors against the backdrop of an immense capital ship battle. Two Executor-class dreadnoughts face off, their turbolaser batteries savaging one another. Star Destroyers and Mon Calamari cruisers pound one another. We pursue one of the X-Wings - it's Rogue Leader WEDGE ANTILLES - as he blasts apart a TIE...

Jedi uniform torn and burned, LUKE stands alone on the edge of a massive sky platform, his emerald saber in his left hand and a red saber in his right. He is surrounded by four figures wielding scarlet lightsabers. The city looks like Coruscant, only a dying, decayed version. We PULL BACK without revealing the identities of his foes...

LANDO CALRISSIAN dives for cover as a squad of stormtroopers spray the area around him with blaster fire. He rolls, ducks for cover, then bounces a grenade off the wall toward the troopers and leaps in the opposite direction, his own blaster barking...

Racing through an impossibly large canyon, a trio of New Republic gunships begin taking fire from a far distant location. A number of X-Wings race overhead, cannons spitting fire even as a squadron of TIE Fighters and Interceptors race to meet them. With TIEs twisting away in all directions to avoid ramming the insane flight path of the lead gunship, we do a stomach lurching drop and pursue as it dives toward a walled military installation…

FADE TO BLACK.

A PATH MUST BE CHOSEN…

FADE TO:

Sitting on a fallen tree, LUKE SKYWALKER watches sadly as MARA enters the cave on Dagobah. The moment she disappears, he exhales and closes his eyes, as if praying…

Wearing a hooded robe that conceals her identity, LEIA is in a senatorial pod in the Great Chamber of the Senate. She steps forward, pushing the hood back to reveal her identity. There is a sudden gasp that races through the building...

His left leg wrapped up, CORRAN HORN sits upon a hospital bed, staring at two objects before him: a Rogue Squadron patch and a lightsaber…

HAN SOLO stares at his reflection in a tall mirror as he adjusts the New Republic uniform he is now wearing. At his color is Admiral rank…

FADE TO BLACK.

A DESTINY MUST BE FOLLOWED…

FADE TO:

LUKE is dueling with a black-armored foe inside an oddly shaped room filled with rows of sleeping or cloning tubes. Behind them, MARA is facing off against a trio of foes, but that engagement is too indistinct to identify the identity of her enemies. Beyond them all, we can make out massive viewports and what appears to be an ongoing void duel between Republic and Imperial forces...

Upon the command deck of a Star Destroyer, HAN SOLO stares through the viewport and the massive fleet beyond. CHEWBACCA is at his side, arms crossed and a fierce expression on his face…

TALON KARRDE comes sliding under a closing blast door while blaster bolts pepper it – he is firing a blaster John Woo style toward the camera. Crouching at the bottom of the door is CORRAN and LANDO, both firing weapons at the unseen enemy…

Surrounded by Noghri and blue-robed Senatorial Guardsmen, LEIA strides toward the camera; her expression one of grim resolve. A lightsaber hangs from her belt…

FADE TO BLACK.

AND A PRICE MUST BE PAID.

FADE TO:

A hologram of a uniformed HAN SOLO is speaking to an assembled group of senators and senior military officers, including BORSK FEY'LYA and LEIA ORGANA-SOLO. Han's expression is fierce and angry as he loudly informs those present that, if they don't like his progress, they can kiss his skinny Corellian …

Standing back to back, LUKE and MARA are surrounded by a dozen hooded figures, each wielding scarlet lightsabers. In the background, we can see a sinister-looking black tower that looks to have once been mighty but is now so much wreckage. The figures lunge forward, lightsabers flashing…

An X-Wing bearing the markings of Rogue Leader races toward an Imperial Interdictor, hotly pursed by a half dozen TIE Interceptors. Blaster fire and turbolasers ravage the fighter and we can see WEDGE suddenly lose control as one of his S-Foils is blasted off. Tumbling out of control, the X-Wing explodes…

From the explosion (ala TPM).

THE UNSEEN WAR
EPISODE I
TYRANNY REBORN

MaraJade001

Holy crap! Surprised Now you've REALLY got me interested. (Not like you hadn't before, but now...)

Seriously. I got chills reading that "trailer". Screw school! You MUST write this story immediately!

Sorry I didn't post a reply after chapter 7 of Sidereal. I read it late last night and thought I'd come in here and reply today only to see chapter 8 posted. Smile Love, love, love this story! Although I was secretly wishing Luke would give Mara a huge, romantic good-bye kiss. Then she would decide she just couldn't leave right then. They'd go back to their apartment and... well, you know. Kiss! Drool

Of course, that's just the giddy L/Mer in me. Blush

Rigil, I have to say I have not been this excited by a fanfic in a LONG time! Thanks SO MUCH for posting this! I eagerly await Tyranny Reborn! Popcorn You Rock!

WaveRider

Surprised Woah... Like what I've read so far. Continue. Please.

redtenko

and like I said, WHEN IS THIS COMING!? Hissy Fit

Rigil Kent

MaraJade001 wrote:
Screw school! You MUST write this story immediately!

Heh. Unfortunately, if I don't go to school, I don't get my student loans and since I don't want to go out and get a real job again (had one for over ten years at the same place and I hated it - I wanna be a big time author type when I grow up), school is kinda necessary.

Although I was secretly wishing Luke would give Mara a huge, romantic good-bye kiss. Then she would decide she just couldn't leave right then. They'd go back to their apartment and... well, you know.

Yeah, I know. But ... I'm a guy and, while I dig the Luke/Mara relationship, I'm not keen on the Insta!Love@First!Sight Thing (tm). Maybe I'm just emotionally crippled in real life, but I've seen too many friends/family members involved in those sort of romances crash and burn. So Luke & Mara are gonna have to work at it in my little corner of the SWars universe and Mara? She's pretty screwed up when it comes to that sort of thing. (Blame Palpy)...

Rigil, I have to say I have not been this excited by a fanfic in a LONG time! Thanks SO MUCH for posting this! I eagerly await Tyranny Reborn!

Thanks! I hope I don't disappoint you. I haven't enjoyed writing this much in a long time so I'm looking forward to letting the Muse have fun...

"This is where the fun begins."

WaveRider wrote:
Surprised Woah... Like what I've read so far. Continue. Please.

Thanks! Hope you enjoy the ride!

redtenko wrote:
and like I said, WHEN IS THIS COMING!? Hissy Fit

Well, I'm hesitant about making any promises about due dates since I don't know what the workload will be like in the class I'm taking (starting next week). I've got a funeral to attend on Wednesday (my roommate's grandma), but I'm going to do my level best to get as much done as possible before the weekend gets here...

"It will be ready when it's ready, sir!" -Killick, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Razz