Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Fanfic Recommendations 
ginchy
Global Moderator

Read a fic elsewhere that you want to recommend to us here on SWFF? Here’s the thread for you! Please provide a rating for the fic along with your link to the story.

Rigil Kent

I just discovered a really long pair of fics that go AU at the end of Empire and are really well done. There are the occasional grammar issues, but the story is fantastic, especially the author's take on Palpatine as the Evil!Genius. Too often, Palpy comes across like Mr. Burns from The Simpsons but not in Into the Storm and its sequel, In Shadows and Darkness. Seriously, these are some damned good fics that make the "Dark Luke" cliche actually believable.

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.

EtahnAbaht

Unfortunately, Rigil Kent beat me to my most recent addiction (having gone through them over the course of this weekend). However, as long as we are going with length and quality, here are a couple of favorites. Both are finished and both are due sequels (the former has been a while but I believe the author has indicated DRL disruption sometime fairly recently).
Feet on the Ground, sequel to Walking the Sky
In Plain Sight

Edit: Just a bit of intro, all three are TFN compliant, although there is a PM chapter for Feet on the Ground, and all deal with young Luke. More importantly Feet on the Ground and In Plain Sight have young Luke/Mara.

ginchy
Global Moderator

Thanks for the recs, RK! I will definitely look into those! I always enjoy Dark Luke (okay, okay, ANY Luke) fics! Very Happy

And, EtahnAbaht, great to see you around! I agree with your recs of those fics. They're terrific.

I'll throw in two recs here:

Far More than Rubies by frodogenic. It's rated K+ at ff.net. Author's summary: Nine years after AOTC, an old tragedy revisits the Lars Homestead. But this time, fate has rewritten the ending... Meanwhile, the rebel movements learn of a secret military project that may make a crucial difference in the war with the Empire. Padme, Luke

I like this story because I struggle with Padme's character and her death in the films, and I enjoy reading about her and Luke together.

A Sense of Loss by Aria1. It's rated T at ff.net. Author's summary: Luke and Mara, both thinking they have made a mistake, part ways after VofF. This is a detour to what is the inevitability of their relationship, if you will. Not as 'instamatic' as their romance has been made out to seem in the novel.

This story rewrites VOTF a bit and can be a little overly dramatic, but sometimes I like them like that. Something about this story just appeals to me, and I suspect it might partly be the fact that I'm a sucker for post VOTF fics.

simpletricks

Thirding Rigil's Into the Storm/In Shadows and Darkness rec. It needs a beta like crazy and I don't even care: It's just an astonishingly good read.

ViariSkywalker has an interesting story going at TFN, Veil of Shadows. It's in Saga so it's easy to overlook, though it started as one of those challenges so maybe not...

EtahnAbaht

Ginchy, sorry about prolonged silence Embarassed , I have been dragged off into other fandoms of late, and more importantly I spent the previous couple of months worrying about a friend's wedding. Hopefully I will have more time and focus in the future. I agree with you wholeheartedly about Far More Than Rubies. I do not think I have encountered A Sense of Loss, I will give a look-see.

Simpletricks, glad to see Veil of Shadows. I agree it is shaping up as a fairly fascinating "Dark" story. Lots of questions bubbling up of late.

I did not want to throw too many fics out, but I would be remiss if I did not make a plug for just about anything by Indiefic (TFN or Ouroboros. There is a little Luke/Mara in one of her stories, largely Anakin/Padmé and Padmé/Vader, but my favorite parts are her Anakin/Leia and Vader/Leia in The Journey Home and The Senator's Wife respectively. The former is still largely potential, but the latter already has some parts that really resonate. Good quality writing if you do not mind the present tense (the author does maintain it consistently) and lots of it. Be advised some of her stories are consistently PG-13 trending into R/NC-17 with parts on the author's own site. The real appeal is that there are no easy answers from where Anakin was in RoTS as the author explores what-ifs.