Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Star Wars: The Clone Wars (animated film) 
JayCee
Site Admin

Okay, the animate film came out in the UK today, and because I didn't have to pay for it, I went and saw it.

I was pleasantly surprised actually.

It was mostly a kids film, that was obvious with some of the phrasing which was so akin to 80s cartoons with the morals and lessons, but it was still adult enough for oldies to enjoy.

It was definately better than ep1&2, if anything for the acting!

And the droids, they were so funny and camp, it's like they realized that if they are going to try to make them cute, they might as well go all the way and do it instead of the annoying bits we got in the prequals.

Again, I was pleasantly surprised, and if you just watch it as a kids film, not as a serious SW film, then I think others would enjoy it too!

though it was depressing to see about twelve people in there... on opening friday night... Sad

JadeLotus

Probably even more depressing that one of those other twelve people was me! Very Happy

I thought it was okay. Missed Ewan McGregor's voice, and didn't really like the animation of the human characters. But I think they did well on making essentially a 'kids film' appeal to older viewers as well (with the exception of Ahsoka, who was just annoying!) There were some great moments.

I enjoyed it as a whole, but thought it would have been better as a tv movie.

bkwrm

Well, it was supoosed to be a TV show but Lucas thought it would look better in a theater. The movie is actually the first few episodes of the new animated series that is supposed to airing sometime soon,(in the US anyway).

I am definitly going to go see as soon as I can drag my brother along with me. I am most looking forward to Ashoka. There are so few girls mentioned among the Old Republic Jedi. Sad

I can't wait! Very Happy

Myriad

I haven't seen it yet. I promised my best friend we would see it together, and she's on vacation at the moment.

I was excited for Ahsoka because I have been a Togruta fan for a long, long time. Shaak Ti, Raana Tey, that little padawan in Episode two ... I love them all. But after reading who she was and watching the trailers, she seems like a Mary Sue. Or at the very least, just plain annoying. I don't want to judge before I see it thought, just a bit disappointed that my favorite species is finally in the limelight, and isn't quite so great. *shrug*

I think it will be fun though. I'm keeping an open mind Wink

JadeLotus

To me, Ahsoka seemed like a Mary Sue, and is rather one-dimensional. Her relationship with Anakin got on my nerves as well - they have pet names for each other. It's things like that which make it a bit too much of a kids film, rather than a family film.

I like Padme's role, though.

Rigil Kent

I think it's really, really sad that a new Star Wars "movie" is currently in the theater and I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in going to see it. Blame on my utter lack of interest in the prequel era or the latest canon contradiction that's been introduced by this nonsense (how can the Jedi Council not give Anakin the title of Jedi Master in Episode III when he's had a padawan learner? By default, he is a master.) or perhaps it's simply my utter lack of confidence in the stuff Lucas produces these days (or allows to be produced in his name. Nuke the fridge anyone? No? How about Sacrifice and the LOTF tripe?) An era has passed...

Sad

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.

bkbva

Rigil Kent wrote:
I think it's really, really sad that a new Star Wars "movie" is currently in the theater and I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in going to see it. Blame on my utter lack of interest in the prequel era

I'm with you. The three prequel movies were enough of that era for me. I went to see them sort of out of a sense of obligation, and they were okay enough, but I'm done with that era. There really isn't much in the pipeline that I'm interested in at all.

ginchy
Global Moderator

Me three. All of my friends have been like, "What! Amanda not going to a Star Wars film..." Surprised But I just can't muster any enthusiasm. I'm done with the Prequels. LOL

MaraJade001

Me four! The PT was vastly inferior to the OT in my opinion. I did like the lightsaber duels in PT since they were more ramped up. But other than that the era just doesn't catch my interest.

EtahnAbaht

Make it five. Saw all three prequels in the theaters, but when I tried to watch TPM a year or two ago, I gave up after fifteen minutes of watching and fast-forwarding. The latter two are okay, but I have not built up enough interest to pay to see them again - although I have bought two sets of OT DVDs. I actually enjoyed the Ewok movies (ten years ago) but, aside from the plot holes Rigil Kent pointed out, I look at this thing and I just can't shake the feeling that they are charging people to see two hours of video game clips.

JayCee
Site Admin

EtahnAbaht wrote:
they are charging people to see two hours of video game clips.

funny you should say that... is swear some of the voice clips came straight out of SW:Battlefront and Republic Commando... Razz

Rigil Kent

"Get some bacta, troopuh." Razz

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.

EtahnAbaht

JayCee wrote:
funny you should say that... is swear some of the voice clips came straight out of SW:Battlefront and Republic Commando... Razz

Aaarggh You know, I am actually getting tired of having my cynicism justified by these people. Rolling Eyes

Trace
Global Moderator

My Fan Force went to see it as a group and I liked it better than I thought I would.

The beginning is campy and very un-Star Wars-y and my husband and I stared at the screen like WTF?? When we started laughing, we were promptly SHUSHED by our 7 yr-old who was enraptured because her man Anakin was on the screen. Laughing

It got better toward the end. I just had to keep reminding myself that it was a cartoon. (Call me a geek, but the lightsaber battles were great!)

My favorite thing, though, was the music! I thought it was fantastic and I may buy a SW soundtrack for the first time in decades because it was like nothing we've ever heard in SW before. (The director also directed Avatar: The Last Airbender and the music was Avatar-ish - and I LOVE me some Avatar!!)

The BEST part - in a snarky, not really good way - was the purple feathered Hutt who talked like Truman Capote. OMG. It was the most ridiculous, campy, over-the-top thing I've ever seen! LMAO

The kids didn't get the inuendo, but every adult in the theater burst into laughter. And the more he talked, the funnier it got. I'm not sure what made me laugh the most: the character or the guys in my group who were doubled over in hysterics. We laughed about it the rest of the weekend. You really have to see it to believe it.

The plot was geared for children, but not terrible. As far as the characters went: Obi-Wan, Yoda and Mace were their usual idiot selves, but Asajj was pretty damn cool. I liked seeing Anakin in a non-angsty setting and Ahsoka was cute but a little TOO perky.

I got squicked this morning, though, when a friend sent me a link to this Associated Press article that claims there was sexual tension between Anakin and Ahsoka.

No. Just....no.

JayCee
Site Admin

Trace wrote:
My favorite thing, though, was the music! I thought it was fantastic and I may buy a SW soundtrack for the first time in decades because it was like nothing we've ever heard in SW before.

I was smiling like a fiend when i heard the rock theme! I mean, we have always known that SW would be great with guitars... we have all heard the Metallica version of the Imperial March... but to hear one that was actually official... swwweeeeeeeet Very Happy

I mean, the more I think of this film, the more I liked it. Yes, Ahsoka was an annoyance, but she was a text character for these films, so I'm chucking her in with the ewoks and gungans and moving on.

Anakin was done brilliantly I though... like you said, non angsty... and loved the moments which "made him think"... it's called character development George!!! Razz

and yeah... the whole Hutt thing... completely random but worked...

i think this is what fans needed... something that didnt' take itself too seriously... had fun... didn't try to do everything all at once...