Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic

Jade's Fire

I've been on a Stephen King binge lately. I've read Everything's Eventual, I'm on the last story in Skeleton Crew, and I have either Night Shift or Four Past Midnight in the batter's box. I also just picked up one of his more recent books, Cell, I think? from the bargain shelf at Barnes and Noble.

bkbva

This thread's been quiet for a long time. Thinking

I'm way off the demographic here, but has anyone been reading Twilight? With all the hoo-ha over them making a movie of the book (and the fact that my daughter was in love with the lead actor from playing Cedric in Goblet of Fire), I broke down a week ago and bought it. It's a fast enough read, although I stopped at about the 2/3 mark and need to finish it.

Harry Potter it ain't.

I've also spoiled myself for the end of the series, because I knew it unlikely I'd read the other three books. I'm very disappointed.

Maybe I was just spoiled because J.K. Rowling treats her readers like young adults, not squealing teenyboppers. Meyer's prose is just eh.

Any thoughts?

ginchy
Global Moderator

Hey, bkbva! I'm sorry, but I haven't read Twilight, though a lot of my friends have. I'm pretty much just over Vampires--never been a huge fan. So you didn't like the series? Are you going to see the film that took Harry Potter's vacated spot? (Still Mad about them moving that!!)

The most recent books I've read have been The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell and Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. I've been trying to get back to my sci-fi roots, since a certain book series that shall remain unnamed broke my heart and went down a path I could not follow. Wink Anyway, The Sparrow is very depressing. LOL It's very interesting and struggles with a lot of thoughts on destiny and God, but in the end I was super depressed overall. Now, Spin... I really enjoyed that one. I do wonder if the ending was too ... easy, but then again, sometimes things do work out somewhat okay. RCW is a great story-teller. I just bought the sequel, Axis.

redtenko

honey, you want my thoughts on Twilight? That's opening up a laaarrrge bag of worms right there. A few of those worms are noted on my livejournal, but otherwise, unless you have three or four hours to spare on the many things wrong with that book, don't ask me to expand on my "piece of crap written by the child minded" rating.

http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.com/index.php/weblog/comments/twilight-by-stephenie-meyer/#com this thread on one of my favorite book sites has several well known romance novel authors giving the book what for with more dignity (for the most part) than I could ever manage

redtenko

As for what I'm reading, I'm completely in love with Lois McMaster Bujold's The Sharing Knife series. The woman really knows how to take fantasy out of its Tolkeinesque slow slog and bring back the fun in it. I read the first two books in 48 hours, since I could not sleep until I finished them.

ginchy
Global Moderator

Hey, Red--we're on at the same time! hee, hee. Never mind that I should be working... Eh. LOL!

That series you mentioned sounds interesting. It's mostly fantasy? I've been looking for a fantasy series that isn't so cliche.

The last book I read that was fantasy was in the sci-fi section (and listed only as such) but it was actualy historical fantasy of the Trojan War aftermath-- Black Ships by Jo Graham. I found it interesting, especially how she dealt with some things that would be very taboo today.

redtenko

Oh I highly doubt we're on the same time, I haven't gone to bed yet Wink

The Sharing Knife is kind of fantasy romance. It's got a great world and a lot of action, but the true momentum of the story comes from the relationship between the two main characters, and the way they take what they've learned from each other to try to help their world be better. It's got that great mix of action and humanity that make for a great read, and I totally recommend it.

bkbva

Ooh, I can't wait to read those links! Very Happy But, like ginchy, I'm supposed to be working, so I'll have to read them later.

I'm hot and cold on the vampire thing. I'm not into gore and violence at all, but I've been a fan of a few vampire TV shows in the past 10 - 15 years. I saw my daughter had picked up a book (name forgotten at the moment) that was described on the cover as Buffy grows up to be a soccer mom; I said it looked like fun and I'd have to read it when she's done. She says that she's a tad bored with it because it's written sort of first person by the mom, so she can't identify, but that I might like it. We'll see.

And, yeah, we're all pissed about the Harry Potter thing, too.

Myriad

I rarely ever read a vampire book, but I figured I had to read Twlight.

I hate it when people jump on 'lets hate on this book' bandwagons, so I'm holding to my initial reaction. It is very fanfiction-ish, but it was enjoyable. I liked the first two books, the rest were a bit rubbish and over the top. I'm not ashamed to say I enjoyed the first book very much, but it's no Harry Potter, and definitely not a classic. But enjoyable at the very least Wink

redtenko

I gave Twilight a chance a long while back, before I knew there was a bandwagon to hop on. At first I found the book boring and didn't care. It was a lot of "I don't care what you're wearing, Bella" and "I don't care what you're cooking, Bella", and "Where's the plot?" I progressed to being offended by the books (one of the many reasons being how Bella's father, a COP, after seeing how his daughter hurt herself getting away from warefolf boy's forced kiss, told warewolf boy 'Good for you').

Hating twilight has become its own fandom in a way, and I'm embarrassed to say it's kind of fun to peek into now and then (there's sparkly!vampire macros!) however, I only complain about the book on my own journal or other threads that share my opinion, to my friends, or in polite debate on the maybe two book reviewing sites I'm a frequent poster in. I made a comic about Breaking Dawn and posted it on deviant art, but I feel it was pretty good natured all things considered, and a lot of Twilight fans have told me they enjoyed it.

If someone asks for more detail on why I don't like the books (the stuff I said above is about as detailed as I'll get in conversation or forums that don't deserve this can of worms), then I'll give it to them, but I don't go trolling for fanpire victims or anything like that. I've never flamed or spammed on a twilight website. The way I see it, the fans can have their space to love the book, and I can have my space to not. Those places, such as book review sites, where the two worlds collide should be tread carefully and with good manners.

Jade's Fire

I'm rereading my old Star Trek novels at the moment.

Currently, I'm on The Lost Years with TOS, and Reunion for TNG.

Rigil Kent

What am I reading at the moment? Sigh.
  • Russian-American Relations, 1917-1920, Documents and Papers.
  • Foreign Relations of the United States: The Lansing Papers (1914-1920, Volume I).
  • Russia From the American Embassy by David Francis (Ambassador to Russia, 1916-1917)
  • The Bullitt Mission to Russia; testimony before the Committee on Foreign Relations, US Senate

Ugh. Shoot me now.

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.

Jade's Fire

Michael Connelly books, starring Harry Bosch and Terry McCaleb.

I just finished Blood Work and A Darkness More Than Night.

I haven't decided what direction to take my reading in at this time. Oh, except I have to read Soccer For Dummies. My five-year old daughter now plays, so I need to know what's going on. Or at least, what's supposed to be going on. With 5-year-olds, the two are not always the same.

bkbva

LOL at Soccer for Dummies. That really won't help with five year olds. I think it proably takes until about nine or ten until the rules actually matter. However, soccer is one of the greatest sports on earth (my other favorite being hociey). Even though there's not much scoring in soccer, I love that the game is always moving. Yes, it stops for the occasional foul or out of bounds kick, but only for seconds. And probably not for five year olds.

Soccer mom mode off. Enjoy!

Rigil Kent

I recently read this absolutely fascinating book entitled It's Superman!, which was sort of an origin tale (beginning with him in his late teens in Smallville) but, to my pleased surprise, it was set in the 1930s instead of contemporary times. The author clearly did a lot of research into the period, and the approach he took for the Superman character is obviously more rooted in the very early version of the character (as opposed to the modern-day god that is the current incarnation.) Clark is obviously superhuman, but he isn't the invulnerable figure we're accustomed to. Even how Clark acquires his costume makes sense, and is an organic outgrowth of what has happened thus far.

I truly think that, if they want to reboot the Superman franchise for movies, this book would knock everybody's socks off. Great read.

Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are are afraid it might be true.